Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
The more you know, the less you know? >

The more you know, the less you know?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The more you know, the less you know?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salukipv1

You left out the 7mm-08,.270 WSM and a whole host of other WSM and Magnum Calibers?

Yes..it can be pretty confusing,I have found its best to think about getting several different Caliber choices,checking a recoil table to see how much felt-recoil a gun and grain bullet will deliver and ask around to see what others have choosen and are comfortable with...this is where it can get a little more confusing though!

I have also found that if a Person gets a Bolt-action Rifle You can tone down a Rifle a lot more by using the Remington "Managed Recoil" shells or You can Hand-load them lighter yourslef and its like having 2 different guns for an Adult and a Youth to shoot!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really I'm glad its not up to others to decide what I "really" need.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Really I'm glad its not up to others to decide what I "really" need.
I could not agree with you more. It is amazing that some people that have trouble spelling three letter words are absolutely certain that they know what you need.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
have you bought the .270 yet?

I remember being that age and i swear that .270 kicked like an ultra mag!

I think a .243 or 7mm-08 is the perfect young person's caliber.
I agree too much recoil for a kid.You might turn her off to the sport.243 is a real nice caliber to start her off with.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well at 20 I knew it all, at 35, I knew only half as much as I did at 20, just turned 50 so I don't know nothin!
RR
LOL........... yup it's true @53 I don't know a thing,just ask my 22 year old son.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Alright boys stop it!

Go and read the HNI rules please

JW

Last edited by JW; 02-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
I agree too much recoil for a kid.You might turn her off to the sport.243 is a real nice caliber to start her off with.
she aint startin off..i broke her on a bb gun when she was 3...a 22 at 5y/o, when she turned 7 i put her behind a 223...she's been die hard hunter ever since. all does, i dont want her nailin a big buck til she pays her dues..now she is 12....she ate tag soup this year, she didnt wanna put in the time, so..well you know. I think this year she'll understand when i tell her its time to "put in the time"...be a whole new meaning vs what she thought it meant last year lol
anyway, she is an excellent shot, and she is proud of it...she wants ta get out to 250 yards, and well to be honest i wanna put her behind somethin a lil heavier, but has good ballistics.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
she aint startin off..i broke her on a bb gun when she was 3...a 22 at 5y/o, when she turned 7 i put her behind a 223...she's been die hard hunter ever since. all does, i dont want her nailin a big buck til she pays her dues..now she is 12....she ate tag soup this year, she didnt wanna put in the time, so..well you know. I think this year she'll understand when i tell her its time to "put in the time"...be a whole new meaning vs what she thought it meant last year lol
anyway, she is an excellent shot, and she is proud of it...she wants ta get out to 250 yards, and well to be honest i wanna put her behind somethin a lil heavier, but has good ballistics.
You would know best,if you think she could handle it go for it.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Anyone else out there feel like the more that they have learned about rifles, cartridges, etc... the more you realize you don't know?

A guy who knows nothing about hunting etc... might go out and buy a .270win and with no knowledge at all really, may have just made a great decision.

A guy could drive himself nuts trying to decide between a .300win mag, WSM, Weatherby, RUM, etc...etc... most popular vs. best? what does best even mean?
will it be around in 20 years?
short action? long action?
belted? beltless?

I'm kinda of the belief "go with the popular round" but in certain circumstances it may make sense to go with a different cartridge.

Am I going nuts here?

Anyone else out there go through these debates with themselves or others ever?

I mean really do we need any other cartridge aside from the following?

.22LR
.223 Rem
.243 Win.
.25-06 Rem.
.270 Win.
7mm Rem.Mag.
.30-06
.300 Win.Mag.
.338 Win.Mag.
.375 H&H
.416 Rigby
.458 Lott
Yeah, The 45/70 Govt. (bufflo exterminator)