Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CommonSense
And sticking up for a company which produces poor quality products is vague, subjective, and pointless

What about the new Versa-Max??? It has an all new gas system and is supposed to be the softest recoiling shotgun ever and.......

oh yeah its already been recalled.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
Hard to argue with much of what you wrote. My only issue is with the above. The B&C stock on the EW is an over $300 stock at least the last time I checked when I was pricing going this route.

It's an awesome stock. Much better than the typical B&C offerings. And minus the snob factor I'd put it up there with a McMillan easily.

Also I don't know how many of the new Winchesters you've shot but I've own two and handloaded for both. After the initital break in, both have shot 3/4 moa with every reload combination I put through them. Beyond that they both nearly shoot to the same POI for similar powders etc....

I have been very impressed. From what I've been reading on other forums folks are seeing about the same performance. At least those that are reporting.

So it's not a Lija barrel but it's a factory barrel that shoots pretty close to custom.

Tom
Thanks tom, actually Ive zero bad to say about a model 70 except that I just prefer a 700. That said, i onced owned a sears and robuck model 70, killed a deer with it and sold it, but it was a great lil rifle, very accurate(push feed though), wish I still had it. my buddy uses a pushfeed 70s era m70 in 243, dam thing shoots incredible when were at the range, he just took a antelope w/it last fall at almost 400yds he says.

I fondeled a EW model 70 @ gander a few months back and was very impessed, I loved the fluted barrel and the action was butta, if it wasnt chamberd in 270wsm I mighta pulled out the plastic.

I just figure all the B&Cs were pretty much the same , I had a duramax on my savage 10ml, it was pretty nice for a 100$.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerandbearhog
i made my 2008' pencil barreled, un bedded, 700mtlss, shoot pretty good, by opening the box, and mounting a scope. Attachment 15744 but yeah i can see your point, i mean look at this thing pure junk! Attachment 15745 the vg has a custom barrel, bedded stock and blueprinted action, huh?
basically yes, a vg action mated to a b&c stock ( sub moa) is perfection the b&c has full aluminum skeleton mated to a flat reciever with huge lugs makes it solid, no bedding required, metal to metal is as good as it gets , nothing better, the vanguard does have a custom barrel compared to a rem, the rem is button rifling the vg is cold hammer forged, nothing better, and i believe its a krieger barrel.
action doesnt need blue printing as it comes from the factory near perfection,
rems need work and still cant compare to a vg or win action
vg's dont
thats the point of this thread.
lets not get carried away about the vanguard, it has a injection molded tupperware stock ,the higher end vgmodels and the new 1000$ winchesters, use a 100$ b&c kevlar stock. Were not talking micmillian stocks and lilja barrels here.
no but it is a b&c stock and kreiger barrell
btw didnt you buy a vg zrex? I seem to remember you put a aftermarket stock on it, why would you replace such a "quality stock"?

you know im not talking bout the vg stock, that ones less than desirable to even look at
and ill grant you the rems sure are nice to look at, prolly some of the nicest looking around, to bad that all its got
Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sub MOA is fine rifle but its more like 800 bucks, the 400$ vanguards aint all that. The MOA sure has a few nice features, the remington 700 doesnt, but my 700 also shoots "MOA" and is a joy to carry and look at too, so Ill stick w/ it.

Personally though, I think the best value in hunting rifles out there now is the savage 112 with the accustock. for about 600$ you get a SS lightweight rifle thats shoots awsome and has just about every nice feature youd want.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
Im curious here... You've been all over the net bashing Nikon scopes and you've never owned one... but you did look thru one owned by your mother's brother's sister's uncle's cousin's stepbrother. How many Remington's do you own or have you owned? Who is putting the sugar in the Windex? Because you sure are doing a lot of window licking...
Remember, he said there is no reason for him to ever own more than one or 2 guns.

What cracks me up is his shining endorsement of vortex scopes but again, never has owned one.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
sure a rem can be made to shoot, lets see replace the bolt
The only person that would do that are competition shooters that want super tight tolerances for rifles that won't get dirty or see conditions that would cause the bolt to stick, like dirt, dust, water and cold weather or a lazy owner that never cleans it.
action trued and squared, replace the barrel, bed the action, your now to the quility standard of a factory vanguard.
It takes alot of machine time to make a gun of that quality and only charge $399, and that doesn't set off any alarms to you. Interesting.
One reason the action is easy to copy is because its round and can be put in a lathe, not many builders have a CNC machine, and thats how vanguard and winchesters are made, in a CNC, they both have a flat base reciever, with huge square lugs, lay it in a quality stock and you have perfect reciever to stock fitment, oh wait the sub moa already does that, right from the factory.
They are copied because it the best design out there. simple or easy does not always mean junk, i've seen stevens rifles that blow big holes in your statement. The TC Precision Hunter made the same way as a vanguard and is “certified to deliver sub-minute accuracy right out of the box.” This is Theoretically proven by a target included with each new Precision Hunter, this one is a print-out from the T/C computer-aided acoustic targeting system. There not even physically tested!
99.9999 % of us arent gun builders, so for us factory guns are all were going to own, so we should pick one thats of quality, Rem aint one of them.
I'm not a mechanic but i bought a 6yr ford, the first one i ever owned, and had the oil pump lock up and wipe the main bearings out but i still bought another because it's a ford and still the best out there. Would i buy a winchester or a savage or vanguard? Yes, they are nice rifles but my #1 pick is Remington because, like in the commercial, it's ever let me down.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

LoL Big.... HNI is a great place to pack in the knowledge in a hurry! Only place on the net a feller can go from red hat to superintendent in 6 months
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doe Dumper
Im curious here... You've been all over the net bashing Nikon scopes and you've never owned one... but you did look thru one owned by your mother's brother's sister's uncle's cousin's stepbrother. How many Remington's do you own or have you owned? Who is putting the sugar in the Windex? Because you sure are doing a lot of window licking...
Where exactly have I been all over the net bashing Nikon scopes? Please provide a link. I do own a Nikon scope, and while I don't think it's the best class in it's price range, it's still a very decent scope for the money. The one I own is a Prostaff, so not their top end model, but it's held up great and been a good scope. I will be the first to tell you the Burris FFII, optically is superior which I think we all know, and the turrets aren't the greatest on the Nikon, but it's still pretty decent optically, and it's not a bad scope at all. Better both optically than the 2 VX-I's I've had and has managed to actually work without losing zero unlike the VX-I's. I'm curious to where I bashed it or said I didn't own one? Everyone keeps posting on here that I talk good or bad about certain products without owning them, but I'm curious, how do you know if I've owned one or not?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 02-03-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
The only person that would do that are competition shooters that want super tight tolerances for rifles that won't get dirty or see conditions that would cause the bolt to stick, like dirt, dust, water and cold weather or a lazy owner that never cleans it.
It takes alot of machine time to make a gun of that quality and only charge $399, and that doesn't set off any alarms to you. Interesting.
They are copied because it the best design out there. simple or easy does not always mean junk, i've seen stevens rifles that blow big holes in your statement. The TC Precision Hunter made the same way as a vanguard and is “certified to deliver sub-minute accuracy right out of the box.” This is Theoretically proven by a target included with each new Precision Hunter, this one is a print-out from the T/C computer-aided acoustic targeting system. There not even physically tested!
I'm not a mechanic but i bought a 6yr ford, the first one i ever owned, and had the oil pump lock up and wipe the main bearings out but i still bought another because it's a ford and still the best out there. Would i buy a winchester or a savage or vanguard? Yes, they are nice rifles but my #1 pick is Remington because, like in the commercial, it's ever let me down.
When you quote someone else's writings you should always give credit for it and cite your sources. Your statement above, which I highlighted in red, sounded very similar to something I had read before.

Read the second paragraph in this link:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...r-review-1.php

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02-04-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad is tougher than your Dad! He eats nails for breakfast!!

Choices, that's what's awesome about where we live, we can all have choices and express our views. You gotta love that!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.