Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks common sense. I thought I got ripped a little over my experience about my remington rusting. Yes it was a bead blast finish that rusted almost over night. Next question is what does a guy do when he is hunting all day in drizzle or snow? Wipe it down every 2 hours on the stand? I know bead blast is cheaper but I never saw a gun rust like that and I've owned lots of Rems. It was my favorite gun since I could buy guns. I got accused of neglect a few pages back. Oh well, maybe some of your guns are gun cabinet queens, mine are not. They get beat up real nice and work for me or I get rid of them. They have to make a gun that doesn't rust in a day and a half. Period.

Last edited by ihookem1; 02-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks common sense. I thought I got ripped a little over my experience about my remington rusting. Yes it was a bead blast finish that rusted almost over night.

I got accused of neglect a few pages back.
I wasn't blasting you or accusing you of neglect. I was telling you why your rifle was rusting.

Next question is what does a guy do when he is hunting all day in drizzle or snow? Wipe it down every 2 hours on the stand?
Wipe it down at the end of the day. It isn't going to rust until it starts to dry out.

I know bead blast is cheaper but I never saw a gun rust like that and I've owned lots of Rems.
How many have you owned that had a very coarse bead blasted finish? I have seen guns get surface rust in hours as they dried. Get a little blood on a blued rifle and it will rust even quicker.

They have to make a gun that doesn't rust in a day and a half. Period.
They do but the ADL and SPS aren't the ones. Don't expect a $400 rifle with a very coarse blued finish (regardless of who's name is stamped on the receiver) to perform like a $900 rifle with a polished finish. If you want a Remington that is more resistant to rusting then look at the CDL, BDL, XCR, XHR, or any of the stainless offerings. Remember that blueing is really nothing more than controlled rust the rougher the finish the quicker it will rust.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think they oiled it at the factory. If they did I don't think I would have had that much rust. I have an adl almost like it and it doesn't rust. Oh well the sps 700 youth carries very well.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two SPS's, and I have never seen any rust on either one, I have hunted in the poreing rain for weeks at a time without wipeing them down for days after. Matter of fact I used my 243 last deer season in the snow and rain and I have yet to clean it, it shows absolutly no signs of rust, it looks as good as the day I bought it.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CommonSense
Shame on you zrex, now all of the Remchester fanboys will come out of the woodwork to proclaim how awesome their super whiz bang Model 700 ABCD is, and how their quality isn't declining, oh well, when that's all you have experience with, and don't know any better......

i agree. i have a cousin who swears by remingtons... and he's never owned anything but remington 700's.

i've owned weatherby VG, remington 710, and winchester model 70's. alomost completely needless to say that winchester has been far and away the best of those. the vanguard is a pretty decent gun though. i spent $268.99 on it in 30-06 after my employee discount at the time. still one of the best purchases ever. i would like to say, that maybe it's not the gun, but the quality of the optics some of these base models come with. bushnell...? really? not that bushy's can't kill some deer, but they sure aren't nikon or leupold or swaravski.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
I'm not a fantatic "backer" of any brand rifle. I just bought a 700 SPS Buckmasters because I loved the camo stock and the all black action. It's smooth as silk, the trigger is the best of all the rifles I tried in the store and it's a very pretty gun. the bore is glass smooth. I checked it against all the other rifles; Tikka T3 (looked cheap), TC Venture and Icon (almost bought one of these), Weatherby Vanguard (horrible, gritty trigger), Browning X-Bolt and A-bolt, Winchester 70 (better then the pre-64's now), Sako A7 (black bolt shroud on a stainless bolt?) and the cheap Marlin and Mossberg bolts. Midwest Shooters Supply (Lomira, Wis) didn't have any Savages but I really don't like the looks of them anyway. I wanted to look at CZ's but none there either. The Remington 700 just stood out as more pleasing to my eye and the price was right (with the rebate) so I bought it. I just got the scope on it so will be shooting it soon and will report on results. I spend alot of time at the range and am an above average shot.

And poorer quality? Get used to it because everything you buy is not going to be like it was 20 years ago, cars, clothes, houses and food. The euro rifles are not going to still make them like the "old world" anymore either. Check out the new Sako 85's compared to the Finnbear. Not even close.
Just like "warbirdlover" stated, name anything that hasnt gone down in quality in the last twenty years. Its all about production and profit. Everything is automated, and built with cheap labor, and the cheapest materials they can find, all to have bigger profit margins. This isnt just happening in Remington, but in all large gun manufactors. Quality craftmanship is a thing of the past. There was a time when Americans actualy took pride in there work, you are not going to find this in these large corperations, you will find it in the small custom gun builders.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, no question quality has gone down hill on alot of manufacturing companies in the last 20yrs.However, when a Company allegedlly knows it producing and shipping faulty products and continue to do so to the public that is different. I'm not saying Remington is outright guilty of killing or injuring people or putting put a faulty product. But I am saying there must have been enough evidence against Remington for them to settle out of court in alot of court cases. Way to many settlements, for me to even consider purchasing a Factory Remington Rifle in s model 700. That being said the model 700 is a fine action rifle, and made under the right hands. I would have no problem having a Rem 700 made by a competant gunsmith.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Remington WAS a great gun years ago, however they have gone down the road to ruine by making their product cheap and lack of customer service. Quality is not there anymore. My opinion!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think Savage has gone down hill. Some are getting better and more accurate. Automation can be a good thing. Cars are better too but only through technology.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
I don't think Savage has gone down hill. Some are getting better and more accurate. Automation can be a good thing. Cars are better too but only through technology.
When you can take a new car and push a dent in it with your finger, versus a older vehicle that takes a hit from a ball bat to dent it, i would call that a decline in quality. I have a 2008 Jeep wrangler with less than 40000 miles on it, it has went through two water pumps, had to have a new tranny cooler instaled and just had a recall on the fender liners falling down and rubbing holes in the brake lines, I call that a decline in quality. I have a 2009 Cadilac STS with less than 15000 miles on it, the drivers side power window just quit working, cost $278 for parts, I call this a decline in Quality. Not to mention all the recalls on the new Toyotas, My 2009 Yamaha Grizzley had a recall on the steering brackets, I call tha a decline in quality. As I said poor workmanship seems to be a pretty common thing in anything produced in the lasst 20 years. Savages are no exception, just give them about two years, now that they have a reputation, you will see a decline in quality also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.