Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
good by Remington >

good by Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

good by Remington

Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby is not the quality piece you may think it is. For the past 20 years there have been numerous shortcuts, one of which is their firing pins. A bright, shinny stock doesn't make a quality firearm. You may want to buy a 700 Remington instead of the lesser model and get the quality you pay for.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sniper151
Weatherby is not the quality piece you may think it is. For the past 20 years there have been numerous shortcuts, one of which is their firing pins. A bright, shinny stock doesn't make a quality firearm. You may want to buy a 700 Remington instead of the lesser model and get the quality you pay for.
And what shortcuts are these? I have never read of anyone having issues with the Vanguard or Howa 1500, sounds like you have never shot, nor compared one side to side with a Remchester. Don't think I have ever heard of a bolt handle breaking off of a Weatherby (because it's a one piece bolt) or the gun firing when the safety was switched off (a Remington tradition). Instead of posting unsubstantiated BS, please provide proof that the Weatherby is trash, and that the Rembeater is a superior product.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the past 20 years there have been numerous shortcuts, one of which is their firing pins.
Please explain in greater detail. I'd like to hear about the numerous short cuts of the vanguard/Howa and the firing pin problem.

This should be good. We'll see if it's as good as the alleged Remington trigger issue.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
Remington has really slacked in the quality department for sometime now, I wont even buy another and havent for quite sometime.
Where is this decline in quality? I have several Remington 700's in various models, my oldest is my 338 Win Mag. according to the barrel code was made April 1988, my newest is my 300 Ultra Mag., barrel code said it was made May 2005. I see no noticable differences in quality between the two. They have the same triggers. The stocks maybe a little cheaper, but then when I look at my Sendero, it has a factory H.S. Precision stock on it, so go figure.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Banned

weatherby (howa) has been able to build a quality rifle for 400 bucks that any remington at any price cant compare to, thats a fact.
rem -3 piece bolt
VG -1 piece fluted and gas ported bolt
rem-machined round bar stock reciever
VG- cnc machined billet reciever with flat base and integral recoil lug
rem- extractor thats less then desirable
VG- m16 style extraction
rem- machined rifling barrel -I believe its button rifleing ( not sure)
VG- hammer forged barrel
rem -6" group guarantee ( yes when you send them back a gun that groups 4 inches theyll say thats within tolerance)
VG- sub moa guarantee
ad then theres that issue with the rem trigger.
I have had a few VG's. Decent rifles, but no heirlooms. Crappy stocks, ok triggers. But generally, subMOA. Same as most A-bolts I have owned and built nearby.

And for a correction. remingtons spec is not 6" or 4". It depends on the caliber. Varmit guns are less than 1.5MOA. Magnums are 2MOA. I have been down this road of sending guns back to meet accuracy. And remington is really lacking in this department. But so will be weatherby. Been down that road too. Its so subjective, I rarely got any satisfaction. My biggest complaint has been rough copper fouling barrels.

The bottom line is, 700 action is legendary. If you pull all other parts off, you still have a great action.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fritz1
Where is this decline in quality? I have several Remington 700's in various models, my oldest is my 338 Win Mag. according to the barrel code was made April 1988, my newest is my 300 Ultra Mag., barrel code said it was made May 2005. I see no noticable differences in quality between the two. They have the same triggers. The stocks maybe a little cheaper, but then when I look at my Sendero, it has a factory H.S. Precision stock on it, so go figure.
I have to admit, I agree with zrex. I have about 10 700's and have owned probably 25 or more. My oldest is 1974, 1979, 1980 and 1983. These rifles have deep blueing. Quality blueing. Stocks are stable walnut, highly figured. Checkering is quality. Barrels smooth as Lilja barrels I have owned. Don't really copper foul. My 2000+ year 700's, expecially the 300RUM's I have owned have had the roughest barrels I have seen. Copper foul horribly within 8 rounds. Varying throat dimensions on freebore from 3.66" to 3.8". I went on a quest going around to guns stores measureing the throats on 300RUM's. All over the place. You would have thought they were weatherbys. Even had one 300RUM with crown not a perfect 90 degrees.

It just makes sense from here on out to buy a used ADL, or BDL on the cheap. Take to the smith, and have replumbed, with a McMillian stock. In the end, I have 1200 dollars in it, but got what I want.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

all vanguards will be given the sub moa guarantee including sporters, stainless models will be available too.
Just cause the rifle is capable, doesnt meen that the people buying them are. The average person that buys one of these guns, or any gun for that matter, and thinks that because it will shoot sub moa, that they in turn can shoot sub moa, is sadly mistaken. You actually have to be able to shoot, that gun isnt going to make you a top shot.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Has to agree with Fritz on this one. Sometimes it's not the gun but who's shooting it or what they are shooting through it.

When you buy a $500 Remington 700 what are you expecting it to do? Shoot a .003 group at 100 yards? Highly unlikely that's going to happen. In truth a lot of serious bench rest shooters still build on a Remington action. So they must not be all that bad. I would assume if you want bench rest quality out of a standard hunting rifle then your going to be disappointed a lot.

I spend a ton of time on the reloading bench making shooters out of standard out of the box rifles. Saves a lot on gunsmithing. But some guns you do purchase are crap and have actual problems that need professional attention. Any rifle I've ever bought that needed serious help I sold it back to the gun shop. It's like the chevy/ford/dodge war if you buy enough of any of them you'll get a lemon one day.

If everyone loved Remingtons there would be no other rifle manufacturer's. Thats what makes the world go round.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Remington has done to the Marlin rifles is proof enough that Remington quality has gone to the crapper. I don't even know how there is a basis for discussion.

Those Vangards are awfully enticing. I might buy one for my boy down the road.

Tom
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
What Remington has done to the Marlin rifles is proof enough that Remington quality has gone to the crapper.

Tom
Yeah, Remington sure messed up Marlin. LOL. How do you explain the X-7 ?, It is considered to be one of the most accurate production rifles out and wasnt made till after Remington aquired Marlin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.