Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger #1 vs. Remington Model 700 >

Ruger #1 vs. Remington Model 700

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 vs. Remington Model 700

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Hookeye...I like your analogy...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer the Ruger NO 1. I like the balance for shooting off hand. I like the stock design and weight of the rifle for shooting magnum calibers. I've not had and accuracy issue that needed a gunsmith. The triggers are not bench rest quality but just as good as any standard rifle coming off the shelf plus they don't have creep.

If I was to build a bench rest rifle, it would probably come from a Remington 700 action. And besides the Remington 700 ADL rifles they are great rifles in themselves. And if you do want a trigger job it's going to cost less at the gun shop to get it done. And they do have a better mounting system for scopes. Ruger could work on that a touch. I've shot some tack drivers in the Remington Senedero.

Best thing to do is find people with both guns and get them to the range and make your own calculated decision. Before buying one.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, had to get in on this due to these are my two favorite guns--first of all, pressed checkering on my new BDL? Pressed skip line precision checkering? Really---At present I have two BDL's, an 06 and a .243 and like the man said they both shoot better than I can shoot them--my #1's have not been as accurate, but plenty accurate enough for hunting. The biggest beef with the no 1's is the scope rings-Ruger does offer three different heights and they send rings with each rifle, but they choose which height, then, in order to get the scope far enough back so that you don't have to move your head forward considerably along the stock to even get close to the scope, you have to order the corresponding offset rear ring to the set they sent. They should include a number 4 or 5 offset with the gun. One of the five no 1's I've had, a .204. was not consistant, grouped all over the place, the 45-70 was fair, but the 06 was plenty accurate and the other .204 was a tack driver --didn't get a chance to try the last one because a friend had to have it--Ruger does use great wood on the number ones as a rule and the balance is great--easy to carry and easy to shoot--as for the Remingtons, I'm an old guy and have owned three ADL's and three BDL's, two of which I have now and can't see the quality issues I hear about. I've had years of great hunting with these 700's without a problem, they hit where I aim, don't fall apart and look like a million bucks, am I not seeing something here?---John
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same complaint about the rings, however I noticed warne makes rings for rugers , solves that mess. BTW I didnt know that many guys owned #1s.

I actually like the BDL more than the newr CDLs, I dont like satin finsh on the stock and metal, defeats the purpose of a wood gun IMO. Id rather have the gloss finish of the BDL, looks better and probably more weather resistant.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone wants to complain about Rugers scope rings, They actually make four different sizes for a 1" scope and three different sizes for a 30mm scope and they also have different offset rings. If you want I can give you the part numbers. What is there to complain about? They give you the rings for free, if you dont like them buy a different set! ANY OTHER MANUFACTOR makes you buy the rings seperately, unless you buy one of those Wal-Mart combos, and we all know they only use the top of the line stuff. So what is your complaint?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
So what is your complaint?
Theyre heavy square blocks of steel, w/a big ol flathead bolt, no thanks, M77s are heavy and blocky enough.

I dont like integral scope mounts and rings. I dont like a gun co. trying to force me to use their mounting system, its a stupid concept, just drill and tap the receiver and let me pick how I want to mount my scope.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised this thread has gone for so long. Couldn't imagine comparing firearms that could be any different.

As for me I like the integrated rings on the rugers.

Tom
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'm surprised this thread has gone for so long. Couldn't imagine comparing firearms that could be any different.

As for me I like the integrated rings on the rugers.

Tom
Tom I think that is what makes equipment so fun to compare. I originally posted about two different guns in a lot of aspects. The caliber being the common denominator. But the question is the same,"Which is more accurate at around 300 yards?" Everyone has an opionon and that is what is good about it. I do believe I have found three main things though:
1. Ruger #1's are beautiful guns.
2. Model 700 is probably more accurate.
3. The majority of people do not like the bases and rings on the Ruger.
Did I find an answer to my question? See #2 above. I think I will go with that and maybe somewhere down the road buy a #1 for the beauty of the gun!!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

My son has a Ruger #1B in 25-06Rem. Brand new with factory ammo, he could keep it around 2 MOA out to 300yds. After break in and experimenting with handloads, he's got it down to 1-1/4 MOA at 300. No 'smith work yet. Trigger is heavy with excessive creep. It's a pretty heavy gun to carry. They're not for everybody. I think people who like #1's, like them for their own reasons.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

700 is more accurate