Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Aftermarket barrels?  Which one to pick??? >

Aftermarket barrels? Which one to pick???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Aftermarket barrels? Which one to pick???

Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by stapher1
Really nice rig you got there! Is that a sightron scope?
Sightron!! Aw man that's like kissing your sister!!

It's topped with a Loopy Mark4...

Ooop, RR beat me to it!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Big, no I don't shoot competively anymore, when I did, just like when I fished competitively it got to where it wasn't fun anymore, so I just shoot and try to help others learn how to shoot properly.
No less than 4 people a year (mostly youngsters and ex-military) get to use my rifles and methods to harvest deer "way out there"
RR
My BR days are behind me also, but I am thinking about going to the big match in Fairview next time as a spectator. I used to get too focused on the matches, and forgot to have fun. It's better now!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Sightron!! Aw man that's like kissing your sister!!
^^^^^^ Nice!,.....the boys over at accurate shooter forums like'em, maybe not like nightforces but as much as leupolds
I really like my leupold's but i'd would buy a nightforce in a heart beat if i could afford one, maybe one day.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

To get back to the original topic, Melvin Forbes (NULA) uses Douglas barrels. I have them on a few hunting rifles and am very happy with them. You don't see them often at BR matches but for a hunting rifle they are just great. They are much better than factory tubes.

However much better a premium barrel is over a factory barrel, most factory barrels will shoot better that their users. A new barrel is fairly far down the list of things to make a hunting rifle more effective.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW, I wouldn't be afraid of Pac-Nor, all I've ever heard about chris was positive
I've heard good things about Pac-Nor too...

I have a Broughton and a Kreiger, both shoot better then I can.

The Broughton cleans VERY easy though...
Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

several more thoughts on this comment:
hunting rifles shooting 1.5" groups at 500 yards!

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/4791029741
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with vapodog, I call BS on this, anyone can post a picture and claim the yardage. There seems to be alot of internet heros on here. RR where do you shoot and when do you want to shoot against me? I dont brag about what I can do, neither does anyone that can. I call B.S!!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Vapodog
several more thoughts on this comment:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/4791029741

From your buddies:

15 January 2011 16:43
If it was true then we'd already know this clown's name, he'd be an automatic overnight sensation. 1.5 MOA, more likely.
Regards, Joe
Sorry to burst your bubble Vapo, but Kirby is a sensation in the LR world...

Wonder over there and see whats up!

There's not another smith in the world building guns like this...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-photos-61349/

Last edited by jeepkid; 01-15-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not impressed with them, I know a lot of top shooters, and to be honest with you he is not one of them. I live right down the road from NightForce and guess what, I will shoot against him any time and post results.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

about 2 weeks ago kirby posted that he had just shipped his 600th rifle out, most of them go to members of LRH.com, mosey on over register and ask about kirby's work, thats all ya gotta do.
Kirby will tell ya that he doesn't build target rifles, or precision rifles, he builds long range hunting rifles, he builds his own recievers, has a line of cartridges which he developed.
He keeps telling us that he does nothing special, but in 2006 when I had the rifle built, I couldn't get over how easy it was to develope loads for, it was absolutely the most accurate, least temperamental rifle I ever had in my hands, my first fireform group which was actualy shots 4,5,&6 from the new lilja barrel shot into .267" at 100 yards. this is from a cartridge that has 122 gr of H2o capacity running a 160 accubond at 3575 fps with a full power load.
I've since spoke with about 30 different owners of APS firearms, they all have the same results. why would I lie about it?
RR
Never said you would lie about it, I have a Bushmaster Varmiter Special that shoots under .25" group at a 100 yards, This is from a factory built gun. That is .25" at 100 yards, and that is from a factory rifle. You claim that you can shoot a 3/4" group at over 700 yards with a 7MM Allen mag, this is where I call B.S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.