Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How do you guys sight in your rifle? >

How do you guys sight in your rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you guys sight in your rifle?

Old 12-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

i adjust the scope using a laser boresighter indoors at a distance of 25 feet. My first shot at the range is at 50 yards. A silhouette target with a large paper backer is used: The 1.5" bullseyes are stuck on the backer. The first round is always on the 50 yard target.

My sighting in is done from an adjustable front rest and a rabbit ear rear bag.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I bore sight it with my Leupold Zero Point boresighter, stick a target up at 100 yards, fire a shot and see where it hits (resting on my Outer's Varminter rifle rest). Then put the sight on the zero and dial the height and horizontal so it is on the one punched hole. Usually the next one will be right there. (Or is it put it on the hole and move the crosshairs to the bullseye?)

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Zero-P.../dp/B001HN5GK8
Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually just the bags and a bench.That's the easy part .Most people think I'm nuts,But .First I take the scope ( if new in box) go through the entire vertical and horizontal range all the way up and all the way down click to click end to end.I count the clicks from stop to stop and then split the difference.In my mind I think I am exactly in the middle of the adjustment range.Then I mount the base with loc-tite then I use the Wheeler scope leveling device.If sighting in a bolt gun,I put it in the vise .I then put a piece of paper on the wall across the room with a 1/2" dot on it.looking thru the bore I line the hole up with the dot then adjust the scope to center of cross hairs to center of dot.This should get me on the paper at 25 yards.If on paper first shot ,move to 100.3 shot group adjust and then another 3 shot group.oops I forgot a couple of fouling shots.Now is where the fun starts .I am a firm believer in "cold barrel zero" for my hunting guns.I will shoot 1 shot go home .Next day I shoot another shot go home .Takes 3 days to get my "first " 3 shot group.I adjust and repeat as necessary.That way I know that the first shot on that 30 degree morning that I am dead on with a cold gun.Might be a little anal but it works for me.Let the ribbing begin......LOL

Last edited by Swampdog ; 12-25-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm sighting in a new gun with a newly mounted scope I have the gun Bore-sighted then I take the Rifle to the Range and start out at the 50 yard sight using my Caldwell Leadsled.I set up a target on a larger white back-board because sometimes it can still be off paper?I get it sighted in as best as possible out to 50 yards then after I'm happy with the results I move out to the 100 yard mark and finish sighting my Rifle there with 3 shots,then I let the barrel cool down or shoot one of my other Rifles I've had for a while that I want to check to see if they are still on-target...after several minutes of messing around adjusting the scope etc...I shoot my first Rifle again with 3 shots and adjust the scope accordingly and repeat if neccessary.I simply love my Caldwell Leadsled and it has helped me get my Rifles sighted in with tighter groups...then after I get the Rifle sighted in I shoot a few rounds free-handed on a rest or sand bag by myself not using the Lead Sled any more!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

http://tinypic.com/r/2gwgg9h/7]View My Video