Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington or dpms >

remington or dpms

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington or dpms

Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default remington or dpms

would you go with a R-25 or a dpms 308 Ar style rifle? Or would you go with a diff company
Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

If I am not mistaken, DPMS makes the 308 caliber Remingtons.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did not know that, think I remember hearing something like that before.
Originally Posted by Rob96
If I am not mistaken, DPMS makes the 308 caliber Remingtons.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of the two I would pick the DPMS. The Remington R-25 is WAY over priced, and the only option they have for their triggers is a heavy "lawyer trigger". The only disdain I have for the DPMS is again the triggers, I wish they'd put a 2 stage target trigger on more of their rifles, but the DPMS trigger is about equal to that of the Remington R-25.

Personally if it were me, my money would be spent on a Bushmaster .308 ORC (Optics Ready Carbine) or the Armalite AR-10. I have had several AR-15's and a few AR-10's, and for the money, the Bushmasters and Armalites are far and away the best production AR platform rifles on the market. Higher quality and performance than the higher priced Colt's and Remingtons, and better quality than the Rock River Arms and DPMS. Of all the AR platform rifles I've had, I've whittled it down to a Bushmaster Superlight Carbine A3 .223rem, a Bushmaster Varminter Special .223rem, a Wilson Combat UT-15 (hehe!), and an Armalite AR-10A4 .308win. I also built a heavy barreled 6.8mm SPCII upper (DPMS receiver) that I use for deer on my superlight carbine lower.

It's hard to beat the Bushmasters or Armalites. If you're dead set on either a Remington or DPMS, I'd get the DPMS and use the money I saved to put a new trigger on it.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Of the two I would pick the DPMS. The Remington R-25 is WAY over priced, and the only option they have for their triggers is a heavy "lawyer trigger". The only disdain I have for the DPMS is again the triggers, I wish they'd put a 2 stage target trigger on more of their rifles, but the DPMS trigger is about equal to that of the Remington R-25.

Personally if it were me, my money would be spent on a Bushmaster .308 ORC (Optics Ready Carbine) or the Armalite AR-10. I have had several AR-15's and a few AR-10's, and for the money, the Bushmasters and Armalites are far and away the best production AR platform rifles on the market. Higher quality and performance than the higher priced Colt's and Remingtons, and better quality than the Rock River Arms and DPMS. Of all the AR platform rifles I've had, I've whittled it down to a Bushmaster Superlight Carbine A3 .223rem, a Bushmaster Varminter Special .223rem, a Wilson Combat UT-15 (hehe!), and an Armalite AR-10A4 .308win. I also built a heavy barreled 6.8mm SPCII upper (DPMS receiver) that I use for deer on my superlight carbine lower.

It's hard to beat the Bushmasters or Armalites. If you're dead set on either a Remington or DPMS, I'd get the DPMS and use the money I saved to put a new trigger on it.
A bushmaster better than a rockriver????..... never heard that one before. At one time remington's were made by bushmaster, i dont know it that is still the case but i have owned bushmaster, S&w, DPMS, rock river and noveske... the noveske was the best the bushmaster was the worst JMO though.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had two bushmasters before, loved them, they never gave me a issue, did not know they had a 308
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cooper's mileage obviously varied, but the two RRA AR-15's I have had, they were much more finicky to feed than any of the bushmasters I've had. The 2 RRA models I had were the 20" Coyote Rifle and a CAR UTE2. I HATED the coyote rifle trigger, but I'm totally intolerant of creep. The UTE was a great 3 gun rifle, but I had a lot of feeding issues with it, and it cost me about 25% more than the Bushmaster Superlight carbine that replaced it as my 3gun standby (other than my Wilson Combat). I also didn't understand why the UTE came with a 2stage trigger? Maybe I got lucky with my bushmasters, but the accuracy and feeding has been 2nd to none.

Admittedly, the fit and finish was better in the RRA's than the Bushmasters, but I'd rather have an average looking wife that could cook than marry a supermodel that burns maccaroni and cheese. Then again, I'm pretty picky about feeding. Either a gun feeds what I want to feed it, or it gets sold.