Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600. >

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I've owned several Leupolds 2 out of the 3 lower end ones I've had have failed. The two VX-I's both failed to hold zero after time. One of them had to be sent in for repair twice. The only one that didn't have any problems was a Vari X II that I sold without ever mounting it on anything. The guy I sold it to claims it works great. I have another friend that also bought a VX-I and his wouldn't hold zero right out of the box. He got it fixed then traded it off for a .22 rifle. The cheaper Leupolds aren't the most durable scopes out there. The Rifleman is even lower on the line than the VX-I.

As for adjustments. The Rifleman line has 1/2" moa adjustment. Don't believe me look it up. The Rifleman isn't a VX-3. The VX-II and up scopes aren't bad. I'm not crazy about them just because you can get better glass for your money from other companies, but none the less they are good scopes. The VX-I and even more so the Rifleman are not however, and they are no where near the quality of the VX-II and above. How many VX-I's and Rifleman's have you had?

As for not owning Vortex, well that's your loss. They have the durability on their higher end scopes as well as great glass. As for the Nikons, you are probably either telling us some BS, or doing something else wrong if you are going through that many.

You could take a Simmons 8 Point and a Leupold VX-3 and switch the labels around them and most of the guys on this site would swear that the Simmons was the better scope just because it said Leupold on it.

Just to prove that you are full of it, here is a link to the Rifleman on Leupolds website.
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...eman-3-9x40mm/

If you notice it will say 1/2" moa friction adjustments.

Not to mention that Leupold's glass is not made in America. They get their glass from other countries just like most other scope manufacturers.

The military is not using Leupold Rifleman scopes either. Not to mention they use whoever they can get the best deal with, not the best product. Just out of curiosity, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you have any links to statistics to back up your claim that more Leupolds are used by the military than any other brand?
I dont buy cheap Leupolds, I own several VXIII's, a couple VXII's and 1 VXI, wouldnt own a rifleman, The VXI is better than any Simmons ever made. But as far as Nikons go no B.S. here, full truth, they are junk. As far as Simmons compared to Leupold, you need to smoke another. And for my claim about Leupold in the military, check out page 85 in Guns and Ammo, Book of The AR-15. Just like I thought, you are one of those Simmons guys that think your $50 Simmons are the real deal, I wouldnt put one of those pieces of junk on a 22 rimfire, much less a real gun. You obviously have never owned a real scope, no one i know, that knows anything about guns or accuracy would buy a Simmons or a Leupold Rifleman, you get what you pay for. You are trying to condem Leupold on the cheapest scope they make, no other Leupolds made have 1/2 moa adjustment. Your statements alone on Simmons being as good as a Leupold tells me how vast your knowledge on guns and optics really are. NONE!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I dont buy cheap Leupolds, I own several VXIII's, a couple VXII's and 1 VXI, wouldnt own a rifleman
So then why are you chiming in telling us bs about scopes that aren't relevant when we are talking about a Rifleman?

Just like I thought, you are one of those Simmons guys that think your $50 Simmons are the real deal, I wouldnt put one of those pieces of junk on a 22 rimfire, much less a real gun.
No i don't think a $50 Simmons is the real deal. However, I do think that many guys on here would claim it was great if it said Leupold on it, just because of the name on it. I've actually used two Leupolds and optically they both were better than the VX-I's I've had. That being said, one was great optically, and the other not so good. It's not what I'd recommend, but I know plenty of guys that get by just fine with them. I myself prefer quality scopes. I also have to chime in that neither of the 2 Simmons I've used have ever lost zero, yet both Leupold VX-I's failed and quit holding zero. Both Simmons also had very similar glass in daylight, and in low light the Simmons outperformed the VX-I. That's just how crappy the VX-I is. It's not that the Simmons is good.

You obviously have never owned a real scope, no one i know, that knows anything about guns or accuracy would buy a Simmons or a Leupold Rifleman, you get what you pay for. You are trying to condem Leupold on the cheapest scope they make, no other Leupolds made have 1/2 moa adjustment. Your statements alone on Simmons being as good as a Leupold tells me how vast your knowledge on guns and optics really are. NONE!!!!!!
Well, considering we are talking about the Leupold Rifleman in this thread and other scopes in the $200 range, why do you feel the need to chime in?

I'm not recommending a Simmons, nor would I. However, I honestly believe that if you put the Leupold logo on one and let people on this forum compare it side by side with other scopes, several guys on here would claim it was the best. Not because it is the best, but because of the name on the side. This point is proven with guys that like the cheap Leupolds. Optically they suck, adjustment wise they suck, and durability wise, they aren't too good either, yet there are several guys on this forum that will claim they are better than anything else in the price range. Which we all know is because of the name on the side.

I'm a fan of getting the most for my money, and they doesn't happen with Leupolds in any flavor. You ever wonder why you go on an Optics forum where guys are into using quality optics as a hobby and testing different optics, and you hardly ever see a Leupold recommended? The reason is because you can get better glass for your money somewhere else. However, for some reason it's hard for many guys on this site to understand that.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your intellegence is really shining brite tonight! No where on this thread has anyone said anything about the Rifleman except you, when I questioned you about Leupolds 1/2 moa adjustments, you never said you were talking about the Riflemen series of scopes until confronted. Last I read this thread was about guns not scopes.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
You ever wonder why you go on an Optics forum where guys are into using quality optics as a hobby and testing different optics, and you hardly ever see a Leupold recommended? The reason is because you can get better glass for your money somewhere else. However, for some reason it's hard for many guys on this site to understand that.
the last time i looked on a optics forum, the three scopes that were being touted as the best out was Leupold, Ziess and Swarovski.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your intellegence is really shining brite tonight! No where on this thread has anyone said anything about the Rifleman except you, when I questioned you about Leupolds 1/2 moa adjustments, you never said you were talking about the Riflemen series of scopes until confronted. Last I read this thread was about guns not scopes.
The below is post 18 of this thread. This is what I responded to and what we were discussing when you felt the need to chime in. So once again looks like you don't know what you are talking about.
For $600 or less for a rifle,look into a Remington 700 bolt action. Great rifles well built accurate reliable just a good all around rifle. And good choice on caliber you cant go wrong with a 30-06. Now for $200 for a scope look into a Leupold Rifleman they're around $200 and are very good scopes.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

the last time i looked on a optics forum, the three scopes that were being touted as the best out was Leupold, Ziess and Swarovski.
Got a link to prove that? Not the trend I'm seeing at Optics Talk, Snipers Hide, 24 Hour Camp Fire, or many other sites that have good optics forums. Or are you once again just making something else up like you've been doing throughout this thread?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not making up sh*t here!!! Go to opticsplanet.com. you are obviously the one that is full of it. No one that has any knowlege what so ever would ever consider a $200 scope as a great scope.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am done argueing with the mentally challenged tonight, got to get up early and go lion hunting. Maybe we can continue this arguement tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not making up sh*t here!!! Go to opticsplanet.com. you are obviously the one that is full of it. No one that has any knowlege what so ever would ever consider a $200 scope as a great scope.
Well, considering the original poster said his budget for a scope was $200, that's why we are talking about $200 scopes. Not to mention, while you might not get a great scope, you can get a pretty darn good one for $200 in this day and age.

As for Opticsplanet.com got any links to any threads where reputable members are comparing the best scopes and recommending which one is best?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad that this thread was polluted by the self proclaimed optic expert. This guy reads other forums as the base for his opinions, and makes up some stories to claim some personal experience. Many of the optics sites allow anyone to do product reviews, and the most vocal posters on their forums seem to be the most poorly qualified.

To the OP - Good luck choosing your rifle. Make your own decisions and be skeptical of internet forums. It might be a good idea to ask around to see if anyone that you know has any of these rifles. They might let you shoot them to see what you like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.