Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Geo. Fisher side by side >

Geo. Fisher side by side

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Geo. Fisher side by side

Old 07-18-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Geo. Fisher side by side

I have a side by side hammer gun, 12 guage, back action locks with a locking lever underneath. The lock plates are marked " geo fisher" . I' m going to restore this thing but its missing a few internal parts and I dont know exactly what they look like. There was an extractor operating cam or something mounted on the pin that holds the barrels to the frame thats missing, and somebody put a carburetor bolt through the frame in place of the original pin. Any of you computer jocks out there have any idea where I might find an exploded drawing of this critter? Any source of information will be appreciated. Larry
Old 07-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Geo. Fisher side by side

This is probably a late 19th-Century Hardware store special, probably made in Belgium, for which there is no known source of parts or any other information! To check this, take the barrels off and look at the flats under the breech of the barrels. There should be proof marks and/or other stampings there which might give you some hints.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:26 AM

Thanks elde, thats about what I have come up with.........nothing. I did find a picture of one for sale. I can make the parts that I need, just thought if I had a picture of them it would make it easier. This gun is in pretty sad shape right now, but the old gal will live and breathe again. The frame, barrels and stock are still in good shape. Some lawn mower mechanic worked on it last though and it may take me a little time to correct his mistakes. I cant figure out exactly how the extractor actuator worked. It was either mounted on or was part of the pin which holds the barrels to the frame. Ive got a couple of ideas about how to make one, i just need to chew on that for awhile. Thanks again. Larry
Old 07-19-2003, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck! Did you check under the barrels to see if there are any proof marks? An E LG in an oval with a crown or sort of an obelisk-type monument shaped image would be a Belgian proof..[&o]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:04 PM

Yeah, its got an oval with ELG and a star in it plus a whole bunch of initials and numbers and proof marks. About six or seven in all. Those belgians and germans loved their proof marks! Its obvious that it was a well made shotgun. The lock parts are very cleanly made and well fitted. There is some checkering on some of the metal parts and the wrist is checkered too. The bores in this thing are in excellent shape, no pitting at all. The finish is all gone and both hammers are missing, but Ive got a pair of LC hammers that will work. I soaked it in a bucket of penetrating oil for two weeks and have every screw in it out right now. I even got the firing pins out without buggering up anything. This thing was found in the wall of a barn when it was torn down. I am surprised its in as good of shape as it is. I just wish I could get my hands on a servicable one or some drawings.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guessed it might be a Belgian-made gun. It sounds like it might be nice enogh to restore. There are several small shops around that do restorations on nice SXS doubles.

" It seems very difficult to impress most reloaders with the fact that every rifle is an individual, and what proves to be a maximum load in one may be quite mild in another, and vice versa." Bob Hagel, GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER, 1977