Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Acceptable accuracy? >

Acceptable accuracy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Acceptable accuracy?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

try 120 gr noslers
2 of my 7-08's wouldnt shoot 139 gr, 120's were fine and 162's were fine
didnt try any in the 150 range
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

...... I've not shot the 120 gr. yet. What I have found that worked well for me and some others was the 140 gr. Accubond and IMR 4350 at 48.0 gr. This load should be worked up to carefully, as anything else. I did try the Partitions in it with little luck, as well as 139 Hornady SP. Guns are individuals, and each will tell you what it likes to eat the best. I do think I will give the 120's a try this summer and see how they shoot in my gun, a Rem. 700 action. Good luck and be safe...
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Camosteel
My question would be do you expect your child to shoot 400 yards?
2" at 100 yards from a discount rifle isn't too shabby and certainly huntable.
Absolutely not. But if I happen to see a deer in the foodplot at 400 yards and that particular rifle is handy, I don't want to have to pass over it just because it won't shoot well wnough to take the shot. Within reason, I expect all my rifles to shoot good enough for anyone to use. I also don't want to adopt the attitude that since my daughter will be shooting it, its accuracy isn't important. If anything, the less trigger time a shooter has, the more accuracy they need from the gun, no?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Huntability, with a rifle shooting 2" groups should be fine if the max yardage will be 200 yds. or so. I've been hunting over 45 years, shot a lot of game both east and west and I can count on one hand the number of animals I shot over 200 yds. Most of the rifles I have shoot consistant 1" groups and some that shoot better, some worse. In fact, my favorite rifle is my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. It shoots about 2 1/2" - 3" groups but that doesn't stop me from using it for black bear. And it has never let me down.
I am willing to bet that your Stevens will begin shooting better the more you play with it.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

try a limbsaver barrel deresinator on those guns. my browning abolt micro would only shoot 1 1/2 -2in at 100 yds. added the limbsaver and its shooting 139grn hornady's at 3/4in now. you just have to find the sweet spot. mine is 4 1/4 in from the muzzle.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by srwshooter
try a limbsaver barrel deresinator on those guns. my browning abolt micro would only shoot 1 1/2 -2in at 100 yds. added the limbsaver and its shooting 139grn hornady's at 3/4in now. you just have to find the sweet spot. mine is 4 1/4 in from the muzzle.
Some folks swear by these things... personally, I've always felt that there is something wrong with the barrel and/or the bedding if they help any. Kinda like taking pain pills for a toothache.... you haven't fixed the underlying problem. But hey....
Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Spike

My first suggestion is to put the gun in some sort of "Lead Sled" device to take some variables out of the equation.... such as human error, and TRIGGER PULL! You would be surprised at how much groups improve when the rifle does'nt move any tiny bit while the trigger is being squeezed. And, let the barrel cool completely between shots....this should take the "action and/or barrel to stock presure" out of the equation also. Then all your left with is crown (which I doubt is it, but still possible) and ammunition.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going to have to agree strongly with Vapodog and Bigcountry. What is expected and what actually happens is two different things. Gun/Man combo thing is a big one. If you know someone in your club that is a really exceptional shot let him try a couple groups with your rifle and see how it does. We do it all the time at our club and on any given day it just might could be you. Not to brag but I'm usually one they hand a rifle to for a so called second opinion. Even just this year I had a really bad day at the range and handed my father my rifle and said shoot a few. It was me on that day.

If you use the MOA rule. If you got a 2" group at 200 then at 300 it's 3" and so on so forth. I would personally suggest trying to get it a 1 1/2" and under. It's not so easy to shoot 1/2" groups as most claim. I would say the average guy and the average rifle set up are around the 2" mark for hunting class rifles. But before I went and did any gunsmith work on the rifle I'd play around with different loads and bullet weights. Or let someone else have a crack at it. 2" is acceptable in most cases of hunting except for long range applications. And even that's not a absolute. I've seen a rifle shooting 2 1/2 groups still hit a pie plate at 500 yards 2 out of 3 times. Human error is a lot. I don't like vises or rests that put all the recoil back into the rifle. But they can tell you what's going on with the rifle and the load. I know if I shoot a group and three of them are touching and two of them are flyers I did that myself not the gun.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by born2climb
Absolutely not. But if I happen to see a deer in the foodplot at 400 yards and that particular rifle is handy, I don't want to have to pass over it just because it won't shoot well wnough to take the shot. Within reason, I expect all my rifles to shoot good enough for anyone to use. I also don't want to adopt the attitude that since my daughter will be shooting it, its accuracy isn't important. If anything, the less trigger time a shooter has, the more accuracy they need from the gun, no?
No matter the accuracy of a gun it will never be displayed without the shooter doing their part. I don't agree with accuracy making up for lack of practice at the range but I do agree that I would not accept poor accuracy just because a kid will be using it. I dont feel that 2" groups are poor accuracy for a deer rifle, but then again rarely will I ever have a shot over 150 yards anywhere I hunt.