HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable accuracy?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

I'm going to have to agree strongly with Vapodog and Bigcountry. What is expected and what actually happens is two different things. Gun/Man combo thing is a big one. If you know someone in your club that is a really exceptional shot let him try a couple groups with your rifle and see how it does. We do it all the time at our club and on any given day it just might could be you. Not to brag but I'm usually one they hand a rifle to for a so called second opinion. Even just this year I had a really bad day at the range and handed my father my rifle and said shoot a few. It was me on that day.

If you use the MOA rule. If you got a 2" group at 200 then at 300 it's 3" and so on so forth. I would personally suggest trying to get it a 1 1/2" and under. It's not so easy to shoot 1/2" groups as most claim. I would say the average guy and the average rifle set up are around the 2" mark for hunting class rifles. But before I went and did any gunsmith work on the rifle I'd play around with different loads and bullet weights. Or let someone else have a crack at it. 2" is acceptable in most cases of hunting except for long range applications. And even that's not a absolute. I've seen a rifle shooting 2 1/2 groups still hit a pie plate at 500 yards 2 out of 3 times. Human error is a lot. I don't like vises or rests that put all the recoil back into the rifle. But they can tell you what's going on with the rifle and the load. I know if I shoot a group and three of them are touching and two of them are flyers I did that myself not the gun.