Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too Much Gun ??? >

Too Much Gun ???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too Much Gun ???

Old 07-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Too Much Gun ???

I would let him get the .338 and see how he handles it.If he shoots it well there is no problem and if the recoil bothers him you can give him a round of I told you so.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:19 PM

I kind of go with Stubbel jumper. If he wants a .338 he will not go wrong with it.
The .300 Mag is good but in many not as versitle as the .338 Win Mag. Besides if things do not work our right you do not get the blame.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

For just moose, you' d be right. But when you threw in " big bears" , a .338 is none too large!!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Well guys the final decision was made today. I suppose there was never any doubt as to the outcome. Sometimes a parent will tend to be a little too practical but in my heart of hearts my feelings pretty much mirrored what most of you said anyways. We looked at two rifles this afternoon both new in the box. One had a little nicer grain. He already had the scope – it was a gift from his wife last Christmas. Dad sprung for the Optilocks. The rifle will go to SC Gunworks (http://www.scgunworks.ca) at the beginning of the week to be set up. So hopefully by next weekend it will be range time. I have to admit being a bit envious – a Sako 75 Hunter in .338 w.mag carrying a Swarovski PV 2.5 to 10 x 42 is a pretty nice piece. Makes me want to go gun shopping myself.
OTIS; You’re pretty much bang on the $$. I know his wife paid $1550.00 including taxes for the scope. The rifle was $1631.85 including taxes. The mounts were $165.00. By the time he buys a spare magazine the bottom line will be $3500.00 plus or minus a few $$.
I know he’ll have no problem with the recoil and he’s a very good shot so if bullwinkle gets within 200 – 250 yds this fall it’ll be party time.
This is a pic of the rack from the bull he got 2 seasons ago - 57 inches.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-19-2003, 01:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

GG, you did the right thing, voice your opinion and let him make the decision. My dad was and is the same way, whatever you decide(well with in reason) he will support you but only after his thoughts are known. In the end you have a great relationship and to happy campers.

Now I want to know where your boy sent his wife to school " on what a man whats really wants for christmas" ? I keep trying but she won' t bite, seems like she thinks diamond rings aren' t enough of a bribe[:@], so I bought her the vehicle she wanted...I got a underwear, smelly stuff and saw.[:' (] So what did he buy her?[]
Old 07-19-2003, 08:24 AM

Skeeter
I guess he' s fortunate that his wife seems to understand and supports his passion for hunting and not just tolerates it like a lot of wives (mine included). She also believes a gift is a lot more meaningful if it' s something he really wants not what she thinks he needs. She will usually seek my assistance in the acquisition if it is a hunting related item as was the case with that scope. I know she' s a rare find. What did she get? As I recall it might have been a Browning Hydo Suede Quatro Parka in size XXL in M.O.B. - just kidding! I think it was ear rings with sparkly things in them.

Isn' t that the difference in a lot of cases between men & women? Man: spending mega $$ on diamond ear rings is impractical but don' t have too much difficulty rationalizing a new rifle. Woman: reverse the above. gg.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

GG, I can' t complain to much either. My wife supports me in my passion for hunting. It seems I always end up with something for a birthday or christmas with regards to hunting or fishing. Not a swarovski mind you!!!! Its the thought thats counts and I did need the underwear...at least thats what she said If it were up to me I could have got a good couple more years out of those boxers[].

Old 07-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

I don' t know how anyone can use too much gun...I mean a dead animal is a dead animal. The real question is: Would the animal have gotten just as dead, and with better shot placement ensuring a cleaner, less painful kill, with a smaller cartridge? If the answer is no, then you have achieved perfection in matching your cartridge to the job at hand. If the answer is yes, then maybe you are indeed using too much gun.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:04 AM

Somehow there is a reoccurring assumption that a smaller caliber is going to be a more capable of an accurate shot -- I' ve never understood that one -- with the exception of shooters whose injuries may be aggravated by larger rounds. Per your son' s sighting in the 338WinMag for the other fellow at the range, accuracy with any given round is more dependent on the shooter than the cartridge (both toughness and training/technique). 338' s and etc. are merely mid-bores compared to true big bore magnums and are light recoiling by comparison.

Perfection and shot placement are good things for the rifle range where one can poke holes in paper that can' t move, from a benched rifle that can' t move (much), over a known distance which can' t move (vary) either, all with all the time needed to squeeze off the " perfect" shot.

Conversely, hunting shots tend not be so prettily staged: the animal may not stand broadside nor stone-still like the paper target does; the distance may not be known -- and only guessed at versus the 300' or 600' paper target; and timing may amount to a 15 second opportunity thrust upon you in a situation not of your choosing compared to getting everything set up perfect on the bench for your first shot 15 minutes after you park your car at the range.

These hunting type shots are where a " more crude by comparison/but get it done" approach (including reasonable accuracy) is more effective than striving to re-enact benchrest perfection with the most minimal cartridge that will " do it" . Unlike shooting at the rifle range, one does not know the conditions that will be thrust upon a hunter at the " moment of opportunity" . It could be 55 yards, broadside, still, and curious OR it could be 225 yards, quartering away at a walk and suspicious -- the minimum size cartridge that would " just do it" is different for those two scenarios! Yet, before one leaves camp in the morning how does one know (shy of consulting with an oracle) which opportunity you will be presented with -- you don' t. The only remedy that allows maximum flexiblity in filling your tag is to go geared for the " tougher scenario" -- again your multi thousand dollar 5 day hunt may provide you with only a 15 second opportunity and not necessarily one of your choosing -- a little different from hunting deer at home with a one month season where if you don' t get the shot you want, well, there will always next week.

For me, I can only know the answer to the real question AFTER it is over; hopefully with my game down and tagged versus kicking myself because I had to " pass" on the opportunity.

My Approach: Never Get Caught Undergunned even if under some circumstances upon reflection it was " more gun than necessary" because under different circumstances for the same animal it may have proved to be " just right" . Many folks plan to just be ethical, " stay within the limitations" of the rifle they got, save the $1000 and be on their way -- interesting how the story changes on day five without a chance yet to fire the first shot.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM