Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My new shotgun. >

My new shotgun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new shotgun.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default My new shotgun.

So my dad bought me a new shotgun for christmas, I got it early for turkey season. But its a Remington 1100, 12 gauge Semi Auto.

I havent had chance to shoot yet but from all my reviews I've heard they're really good.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun and can tell me any pros and cons, what to expect, what to look out for etc.

Any advice etc would be nice, thank you.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never owned one. Like any new gun, read the manual a couple times and get out there and shoot it. Follow the directions for cleaning and I'm sure it will perform well foryou.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned several 1100s since the 60s.. Excellent shotgun... They balance well are very dependable, as long as you keep the gas port, magazine tube and gas pistons clean...They use an O ring for a gas seal, and that may need cleaning or replacing on occasion...

The 1100 is a pleasure to shoot..The felt recoil is much less than a fixed breech gun... I have never seen one that was not dependable, as long as it is kept clean...Don't douse the working parts in oil..They are designed to function with very little lubrication.. A light coat of oil to inhibit rust is sufficient..

You have a fine classic American shotgun....It is the gas operated auto that all other gas operated autos are compared to...
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Spike

I don't have any experience with that gun, as I've always used pumps. A few buddies I used to waterfowl hunt with had various auto's. One thing I learned from their frustrations is to keep extra o-rings on hand. Don't expect your local gun shop to necessarily stock them.......much less be open when you need one.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pygmy
I have owned several 1100s since the 60s.. Excellent shotgun... They balance well are very dependable, as long as you keep the gas port, magazine tube and gas pistons clean...They use an O ring for a gas seal, and that may need cleaning or replacing on occasion...

The 1100 is a pleasure to shoot..The felt recoil is much less than a fixed breech gun... I have never seen one that was not dependable, as long as it is kept clean...Don't douse the working parts in oil..They are designed to function with very little lubrication.. A light coat of oil to inhibit rust is sufficient..

You have a fine classic American shotgun....It is the gas operated auto that all other gas operated autos are compared to...
Darn good post!!!!

I've owned a couple Remmy 1100s....loved them both.....one (a trap gun) was stolen and the other was a 3" and I traded it for a Citori O/U....another great gun!