Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
hearing loss >

hearing loss

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

hearing loss

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was at a private shooting range at a club once and there were some guys there with no hearing protection. I asked them to put it on as I was going to shoot my 300 WM. They laughed at me and sort of shrugged it off. I fired off one round and they nearly went through the roof. Needless to say they were gone by round three.

Not sure if this is true but I hear that .22's are worse because of the frequency than say .357.

Tom
Old 06-10-2023, 02:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by michakamp
Wearing hearing protection all the time while shooting - that's the lesson i learn being very young.
Got my first hearing aids at the age of 34
It's true. Hearing protection is super important. And I'm sorry you have hearing issues at such a young age.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default hearing loss

anytime you shoot you should wear hearing protection. take it from me. i used to shoot without muffs or plugs and paying for it now. im 71 and have hearing loss. too early stupid and too late smart. even a short barrel 22 makes enough noise to cause damage. hopefully your hearing will be ok. what i use are muffs with foam padding inside. i added more foam padding in them so they muffle sound even more.

Last edited by Mr. Slim; 06-13-2023 at 06:42 PM. Reason: adding to the post
Old 06-14-2023, 02:32 AM
Spike

Shooting a gun without protection can cause hearing loss and tinnitus (ringing in the ears) due to the loud impact noise of the gunshot. The damage can be temporary or permanent depending on the intensity and duration of the exposure.