Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do you prefer rifle, shotgun, or handgun shooting? >

Do you prefer rifle, shotgun, or handgun shooting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do you prefer rifle, shotgun, or handgun shooting?

Old 07-03-2023, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you prefer rifle, shotgun, or handgun shooting?

I was just curious if any of you have a preference on what type of shooting you like to do, as opposed to hunting.Though I've done little of it, I find myself enjoying shooting clay pigeons with a with a shotgun more than I do shootig targets with rifles and handguns. I think it's because clay pigeons tend to be more social affairs for me.

What about you?
Old 07-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Most of my shooting is with .22s. and at various targets. I have some steel hanging targets, but allot of times it's whatever junk I have laying around and decide to shoot at.

I also shoot my duty pistol regularly. Mostly on steel. That's not really enjoyment though.

I have always loved shooting shotguns, and like you said that's mostly due to the social aspect.

I do shoot my hunting rifles. But not often.
-Jake
Old 07-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I target shoot because it is a necessary pat of preparing to take a firearm or bow hunting. I don't have a preference, if I am going to hunt with a firearm or bow, I target shoot with it as preperation for hunting. Now especially ammo is too expensive to send a lot of it down range for target shooting for the sake of target shooting.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-07-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I target shoot with all three (well... back when ammo wasn't so darned expensive):

Shotgun/skeet shooting -- Remington 870 12ga. I think everybody owns or has owned an old 870 at one time or another.

Rifle -- Savage .308 with a nice Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope, sighted at 1" high at 100 yards. That's all I need, ain't nothing fancy.

Handgun -- Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 .45 ACP. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but when it comes to handguns, all I really know is the legendary 1911. It's what I trained on and qualified on in bootcamp. It's the only handgun where I (we're talking ME here.... ) can actually break down the 1911 into pieces, thoroughly clean it, reassemble it, and have it ready to go in a matter of minutes. I'm not a fan of Glock and S&W MP9 or whatever, polymer something-something, fancy de-cocker, mumbo jumbo.... Just give me a 1911 and I'll lead the way. LOL...

Last edited by ButchA; 07-12-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I make time to shoot rifles far more than I do anything else, because I'm competing regularly in riflesport, but also know I have to retain proficiency with my carry and HD pistols, so I make that time as well, so then shotgunning slips lower down the priority list. I do enjoy breaking clays, but it's just not as high on my priority list. It's pretty rare that I miss a week firing a rifle, rare that I miss a month shooting a pistol, but pretty easy for me to go a quarter without firing a shotgun, or even 6mos.