Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Online auctions? >

Online auctions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Online auctions?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:06 PM

Default RE: Online auctions?

Hector,

I' d encourage a little research....

Costs:
$20 ($25max) shipping and insurance to lower 48 plus $15 incoming FFL fee = $35 total cost above sales price. (Gunbroker.com will give you a list of FFL in your area and you can " shop" the rate!

Savings:
(1) No sales tax on the internet (unless you are in one of THOSE states). So $600 rifle at 6% is $36 total savings versus the retail shop sales tax. Seller pays the minimal commission fee.

(2) No dealer markup!

What part am I missing? (Note: you' re better off NOT being an FFL!)
EKM
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 AM

EKM,

You bring up a very good point. I never thought about the tax and markup. I will do some more shopping around and see what I can find. So far most of the FFL holders in my area want between 35 and 40 bucks to receive an item. In fact some wont even let you ship to them if they already have the item in stock or can get. I guess they don' t want to cut themselves out of a sale. But I will take your advice and do some more research. Thanks!
Hector
Old 07-15-2003, 12:37 AM

EKM,

I had one more question....what' s the downside to trying to obtain an FFL? Thanks.

Hector
Old 07-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is only upside if you sell or buy a gun thru an online auction site.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
bigcountry

I buy and sell alot on gunbroker. Here is what I try to do when buying. First off, try to buy off people with good amount of positive sells under thier belt.. Then try to get them to give you a 7 day evaluation period. It happens. I don' t mind to give top dollar for a good shooter.

Old 07-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.gunsamerica.com is not an auction . You can list your guns on there and put the price you' ll take for them.Once contacted by a buyer you can always come down if necessary.Price them higher then you really need to get.I' ve bought a few guns through them and was very satisfied. They also have lists of Dealers in your area who will do the transfer.They even have the fees listed which each dealer charges.G.A. is a pretty good deal.
Ruger Redhawk