Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Online Auctions

Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Online Auctions

I have only had one experience with an online auction and it was a positive one. I enjoy looking at the muzzleloaders and what they sell for. Do you think these auctions are always on the level? I have seen where bidders raise their own bid. It makes me wonder if sometimes the bidders are in kahoots with the seller, trying to bid up the price. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences buying or selling on these auction sites.
Thanks,
Art
Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Online Auctions

The danger with having a hidden friendly bidder is they might end up winning the auction and then the seller still has to pay the auction house. While the reserve bids would be the way to go, I think some of the sellers really need to consider how bad they really want to sell their item. I saw some items on there, that I can buy new from an online store for a cheaper price.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 AM

You definately have to know the value of what you are bidding on and keep your emotions locked away. Some guys use friendly bidders, and some auctions allow bid retractions. If it looks like I'm in a bidding war with someone, I check out their past autions, seeing what they bought and how much theypaid for it can say alot about how they might bid on the current item.

Doug
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I got into a bidding war about a month ago. I had seen this same name bidding before on items, and then also as a seller. So I figured he might bea price booster. I checked his past auctions and noticed he really did not purchase as much as he sold. So I really thought about how bad I wanted the thing and decided he could have it.

The other person won the bid of course, and next week the same item was back on sale. This time I never touched it. I am one of these people that do sometimes purchase only because I see a rifle and it is too good of a deal to pass on. Well my new theory is let them pass. But then I say that until the next rifle comes into the collection.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

My aproach to online auctions is to know what the real world value is of the item I'm looking at. I can always buy it locally for full price if I really have to have it so I'm looking for a deal when online. If I can't get it for 50 to 70% of what I can get it locally I pass or stop bidding, it's just not worth bidding up the price to the point where the price including shipping is close to what I can already buy it for locally. I also only bid at the last moment so I don't have to place a bid if it exceeds my predetermined max and I don't risk someone else out bidding me at the end. I just put in my max bid in the last few seconds and if I get out bid then so what, theres always another one out there for sale, I can wait till the right deal comes along. I do check things like how long the seller has been a member of the site and I check their feedback. I also check out the bidders to see if anything looks questionable. I also prefer items that have actual pictures instead of stock pictures. Just remember, if it looks suspicious be very careful.