Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which is the best deer rifle...... >

Which is the best deer rifle......

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which is the best deer rifle......

Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Weatherby vanguard synthetic or Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock can both be had for $500 or less and are superior to the mossberg, Marlin, Savage and Remington. This isn't to say that some of these aren't good ro great rifles but the Howa 1500 is just better action.

I'd opt for the Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock over the vanguard with the Weatherby synthetic stock.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Vapodog
A used .270 in a Remington 700 or a M-70 push feed is better than a new Savage any day!

Shop the used racks and find a great gun for less.

wouldnt buy a new remington,way more than they be worth
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

buy a 721,now that was quality
Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Marlin XL7 30.06 & put a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 for just under $500 TOTAL. Mine is all black. Best deal out there right now IMHO. It can shoot a golf ball every time at 100 yards with Remington coreloc 180's. I adjusted the trigger nice & light, just where I wanted it.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
While I won't bash the older Remington 700's because they are a heck of a rifle, if it comes down to new rifles I would not even consider a Remington unless I wanted to experience their many quality issues they seem to be having. I'd not hesitate to pick a Savage over the Remington if both were new.

That being said the older 700's were great rifles, however, I think I'd still prefer to have the Model 10.
Have you shot a newer remington model 700? Or just going by what youve heard? Im looking at 4 remington model 700s sitting in my safe that were bought within the last couple years. Two sps's an xcr and a sendero. Ill guarantee they will outshoot the shooter. I always have and always will love remingtons. Ive never owned one that didnt do exactly what I expected it to.
I wanna know about the bad ones that are out there. Ill buy every one of them. If they are that bad then the owners of these guns shouldnt mind selling them for less than what they paid just to get rid of them right?
Im sorry if I sound like an @$$ I dont mean to be. But this statement to me is like the one where partitions failed because they didnt kill an elk not hit in the vitals. You are right in one respect older remingtons are great but so are the new ones. My opinion... Id never choose a savage over a remington. But I also wouldnt take 90% of the different brands of rifles over a remington either.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

out to 3 or 4 hundred yards there is little to no differance between 30-06 and 7 mag..so why shoot a 7 mag..if you wanna be a long distance killer hey go to it,,,ill stick with my 30-06 thank you and ill have just as much or more meat in my freezer.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say a bolt action in either the 7x57 or 7-08 is the best for deer and with few exceptions most everything else.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
While I won't bash the older Remington 700's because they are a heck of a rifle, if it comes down to new rifles I would not even consider a Remington unless I wanted to experience their many quality issues they seem to be having. I'd not hesitate to pick a Savage over the Remington if both were new.

That being said the older 700's were great rifles, however, I think I'd still prefer to have the Model 10.
Now that's funny!! Have you ever taken apart a Savage Model 10 and a Remington Model 700 and looked at the qaulity on the inside. Savages aren't just cheap looking on the outside, they are cheap on the inside. There is a reason they are inexpensive and their resale value sucks.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
That has to be 30-06 and Under 500 dollars. And better than the mossberg ATR I has.
Switchback, If you'll bump that $500 max limit up a little or consider a used rifle it will open up many more options.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
Have you shot a newer remington model 700? Or just going by what youve heard? Im looking at 4 remington model 700s sitting in my safe that were bought within the last couple years. Two sps's an xcr and a sendero. Ill guarantee they will outshoot the shooter. I always have and always will love remingtons. Ive never owned one that didnt do exactly what I expected it to.
I wanna know about the bad ones that are out there. Ill buy every one of them. If they are that bad then the owners of these guns shouldnt mind selling them for less than what they paid just to get rid of them right?
Im sorry if I sound like an @$$ I dont mean to be. But this statement to me is like the one where partitions failed because they didnt kill an elk not hit in the vitals. You are right in one respect older remingtons are great but so are the new ones. My opinion... Id never choose a savage over a remington. But I also wouldnt take 90% of the different brands of rifles over a remington either.
Yeah, no kidding. I've got four 700's. A 15+ year old ADL (.30-06) an, an even older BDL (7mm RM), as well as two newer ADL's (.243 and 7mm-08) that were each bought within the last five years. They all shoot better than I can...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.