Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Benelli SBE II >

Benelli SBE II

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli SBE II

Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Benelli SBE II

Anyone using this shot gun extensively clue me in on why the "experts" are slamming the SBE II?

I bought a nice looking wood stock model a few months back. The SBE II design is getting beaten up because of: (1) an antiquated inertia action design, (2) a poor trigger, (3) cheap "ugly" plastic stock , (4) won't cycle light loads, (5) slow cycling speed and most of all (6) "pounding" recoil. Also being over priced as well. Where I bought mine, the SBE II was about the same as several other auto loaders, so I am confused on the pricing issue.

Now I am wondering if I was sucked in by a great Benelli ad campaign or what? I have used a Nova for years for turkey and duck. It has been flawless and works great. So I translated that to mean that the auto loader will be a good gun as well.

Last edited by Mojotex; 08-23-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I have owned a Super Black Eagle for years and never had a failure. I mostly use it for turkey but several of my friends are ardent water fowlers and they all swear by them. The new model have some improvements or so I have been told. The only negative I can vouch for is the pounding recoil part. It was pretty severe with 3 1/2" mags and I had some gun smithing work done to make it more tolerable. I think it is a great shotgun that is fast, light and always works for me. Stripping it all down and cleaning is easy and keeps my old gun working like a champ.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I bought A SBE II (synthetic version) 5 years ago and use it for about everything. I bought it mostly to use for waterfowl, but I've shot 4 turkeys in the past 5 seasons with it and its been to South Dakota pheasant hunting 3 seasons. It's an awesome waterfowl gun, but it works just fine for everything else. It's an awesome gun, and I haven't had a problem with it. To be honest I don't think very many people that actually have the gun and use it will have much negative to say about it. I'm not recoil sensitive, but I guess that could be an issue for some people. I would say it has more recoil than a gas operated system, but less than a pump gun like a Browning BPS. If it fits you right and pulls up nice for you I wouldn't worry about your purchase. The gun is about bullet prove, and its easy to take apart and clean. I'd rather clean my Benelli 5 times than clean another auto once.