Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Wby Vanguard trigger? >

Wby Vanguard trigger?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wby Vanguard trigger?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wby Vanguard trigger?

Finally made my first trip to the range with my Wby Vanguard. The gun shoots great despite having a terrible trigger. The trigger has a lot of creep and actually feels gritty on the takeup. Have any of the other Wby Vanguard shooters here experienced the same problem? I adjusted the pull weight which made it break with less force, but the creep is still there. Can a gunsmith adjust it out, or should I toss the factory trigger and install a good after market trigger? Possibly a Timney?

Any input appreciated.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

i took my first vanguard to a smith to play with the trigger, the next day he said he wouldnt be able to take all the slack out and i should just get a timney. he played with the trigger as best he could but it was still a pretty bad trigger but i learned to live with it. that grit feeling goes away as the trigger breaks in and it actually gets fairly smooth for being a cheap trigger. so if you cant handle a bad trigger you should just get a aftermarket of some sort. iv grown up on millitary triggers so my finger isnt quite as sensitive towards perfection, thats why i still use that factory trigger.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply dylan b.

I am a little surprised that I didn't get more responses given the popularity of the Vanguard. Have others not had this problem?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem with my vanguard. I plan on getting a timney for it in the near future.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

A Timney is probably the way to go. I had my Howa (same as Vanguard) trigger apart twice before I got it to what I considered reasonable. Under 10X magnification, the sear surfaces looked like washboards. It took quite a bit of stoning and some spring work to lighten and smooth the trigger and still keep the safety operative. Definitely not for the inexperienced.

With the amount of time involved. I doubt that a gunsmith would do the job for the price of a Timney trigger. And with the Timney, you will end up with a much better trigger.

Last edited by keyshunter; 08-25-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a "spare" $100, why not.

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/in...duct_list&c=10