Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 This may sound like a dumb question but... >

This may sound like a dumb question but...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

This may sound like a dumb question but...

Old 07-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This may sound like a dumb question but...

I was wondering if cigars contain a lot of moisture? I want to know this because if i store cigars in my gun safe will they leak mositure and potentially cause damage to my guns. Thanks for your help-Sam
Old 07-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This may sound like a dumb question but...

Cigars are supposed to be kept in an environment with a controlled and constant level of humidity. I don' t smoke cigars, so am unsure about whether the desired humidity level that is optimum for cigars would be detrimental to the guns or not. But I sure wouldn' t want any of my prized Dominican' s (if I smoked ' em) to start tasting like Hoppes #9.
I' d get myself a decent humidor.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

If I remember correctly, the ideal humidity level for cigars is in the 70% plus range, which is far too high for firearms. Get a humidor and take care of your firearms and cigars appropriately.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good Lord, how many cigars do you have?? If it' s only a box or two, I doubt that the moisure just from them is going to damage your guns much! If you tried to maintain the overall humididty of the interior of the gun safe at 70%, make sure your guns are well covered with a rust-preventing product like Birchwood Casey Sheath or Shooter' s Choice Rust Prevent! !But cigars are supposed to be stored in a HUMIDOR, to keep them from getting too dry!! A gun safe should not be substituted for a humidor!!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think about what you' re asking here...Cigars contain organic materials, even when ' dried' they contain a goodly amount of water. I don' t think that you' d notice accelerated corrosion or oxidation of your firearms if you keep a box or two of stogeys in your safe, especially if you keep a silica pack in there (it will NOT be a factor then, as opening the door would let in more moisture than the cigars would contain), but therein lies the rub, your cigars will suck because your silica will dry them beyond optimum ' smokeability' . My bottom line, cheap cigars, stick em in there, cuz they don' t smoke/taste too well anyway, but your fine cigars, well, I' d be buying a humidor, or keeping them in the fridge at least!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Don' t keep your cigars in a gun safe they will dry out. Cheap solution is to put them in a ziplock bag and stick them in the fridge.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy humidor with a lock on it if you don' t want people to get their hands on them, thats what I do.

No disrespect to lostworthy, but don' t put any tobaco products in the refrigerator they will dry out. The refrigerator is a very dry place. You can place your tobaco products in a ziplock bag along with a paper towel dampened in distilled water untill you get a humidor. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:54 AM

if you dont want to drop money in a humidor, they make a special bag with a moisturizing insert for cigars. The larger version of the back is only 2 or 3 dollars and will hold at least a box. You can buy one at your local tobacco shop.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I do have a humidor , and the humidity/temp is usually kept at 70%/70 deg. This is not a good idea for a gun safe . Why destroy good cigars ? The amount of moisture in them is unlikely to harm your guns if you have a dehumidifier in there , which you should . You can buy a good quality lockable humidor from any major premium cigar co. for very little , and you should . It' s the least you owe to your stogies . I' d reccomend the Thompson Cigar Co. , you can find their site on any search engine .