Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil... >

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tell me about .300 Ultra Mag recoil...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by trailer
Just curious as to why on varmint rifle ?
Occasionally when Prairie dog shooting I would use a .300 Win Mag. When it got windy and the distance was very long.....(over 600 yards) one really wants a heavier bullet and something like a .30 Caliber boat tail helps quite a bit.....mind you this is bench shooting and one can take quite a bit of punishment from a .300 Magnum shooting several hundred rounds a day from a bench.

I never resorted to a brake but can easily see how one might want to do it. Eventually I just left the .300 Magnum home and did the best I could with 85 grain ballistic tips from a .25-06

If the use of the varmint rifle was to shoot at ground hogs where a half dozen shots per day was a good day then I'd have no problem using the .300 Magnum without a brake.....but when one tries to shoot several hundred a day.....well.....that's another story entirely.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious as to why on varmint rifle ? I’m guessing to keep the muzzle down and focused on the target but I may be wrong...
Exactly. You want to be able to spot your own shots to make rapid follow up shots should you need to or quickly move from target to target. You also get to see the varmint explode.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are wrong about the muzzle break. There is nothing wrong with one at all. I am no fan of recoil and less is better. However, I love to shoot a gun with the ballistics of the 300 RUM. I put a break on mine and it was my favorite gun to shoot.

The only reason I quit hunting with it was the cost involved. I got tired of paying 50 bucks a box for shells.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you like them then more power to ya.
I wouldn't have a braked big game rifle if you offered to buy it for me. Of course that's what the make lathes for.... To cut those blasted things off then end of a perfectly good barrel.

It especially ticks me off when I go to the range and someone with a braked rifle sit down next to me and start banging away. Ruins the whole range day.

Last edited by bigbulls; 08-28-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I wouldn't have a braked big game rifle if you offered to buy it for me. Of course that's what the make lathes for.... To cut those blasted things off then end of a perfectly good barrel.

It especially ticks me off when I go to the range and someone with a braked rifle sit down next to me and start banging away. Ruins the whole range day.
exactly....good post!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

So a guy should or should not have a muzzle brake because you don't like them at the range?? That cracks me up Bigbulls. You know how much I like and respect your opinions and knowledge. I've learned a lot from you over the years but that is just lame!!

I probably would never had a muzzle break in my life but a couple of back surgeries and a titanium plate on your neck will change your mind.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

So a guy should or should not have a muzzle brake because you don't like them at the range?? That cracks me up Bigbulls.
Thanks, I'll be here all night......

I never said that he shouldn't have a brake if he wants one. He can have what he wants on his rifle. Doens't mean I have to like shooting next to him. I love it when I am sitting there gently squeezing through the trigger pull and BANG... I get to feel the muzzle blast on the side of my face from the guy next to me. Does wonders for shooting tight groups.

If I had a brake on one of my larger caliber rifles I would have enough respect for the people sitting next to me to let them know I was about to destroy their hearing with my braked 300 ultra mag. Most people don't.

I probably would never had a muzzle break in my life but a couple of back surgeries and a titanium plate on your neck will change your mind.
I hate that that happened to you but if I were in your situation I would honestly choose to shoot a lighter recoiling cartridge rather than install a brake.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is one we will just have to disagree on. My 300 RUM was one of the best shooting rifles, I have ever owned. I liked my brake so much, I have even been thinking about putting one on my 30.06. I'd probably never spend the dough on it but I'd put it on in a second if it was free.

On a side note....All of the elk I've killed with my 300 ultra mag were stupid close!! I could have taken them all with a bow.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I'll be here all night......
Now that's funny!!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sure the guy that first put the topic in the forum is either laughing his butt off or still scratching his head. There is one way to find out just go shoot one a few times. I'm sure someone in your community has one by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.