Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tape on my barrel? >

Tape on my barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tape on my barrel?

Old 07-04-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Tape on my barrel?

Is it true that I can put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of my barrel to keep rain and snow out?? Will this not increase pressure or degrade accuracy? Any help would be appreciated as I hunt in areas where it is always doing something out there and rarely do we have " blue bird" weather!! Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tape on my barrel?

I' m not in favor of putting anything over the business end of a gun.
Others may say different, and they may be right, but I' ve seen barrels peeled back from obstructions, and its not pretty.
Then again a barrel full of mud or snow would probably do the same thing.
So if I had to put something over the muzzle, I' d use something big enough that I would see it and remember to take it off before shooting.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never hunt without tape covering the muzzle of my rifle.It will not effect accuracy as the pressure will blow the tape away before the bullet reaches it.It will in no way create a hazzard by increasing pressure but it can prevent problems by keeping obstructions out of your barrel.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:10 PM

stubblejumper,

I' ve always thought about it but never did it. Good to know there is someone out there making it standard practice. The devil often is in the details. What kind of tape and how thick?

EKM
Old 07-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am the same as SJ. In my seasons it can rain, snow and shine all in the same day. While a CF may not be as effected by moisture, a ML sure is. Also it prevents anything entering the barrel if your crawling or stick her in the ground. I have taped my barrel for years and it hasn' t done anything to accuracy or caused any damage/harm. I also carry a roll in my pack, so that I am prepared.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use about 1-1/2" of electrical tapeand just cover the muzzle with a bit overlapping the barrel on each side.When you fire all that is left is the tape on the sides as the entire center section is blown off by the pressure in the barrel.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:47 PM

I' m gonna agree with stubblejumper. I usually always have electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifles when in the woods.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

i believe the military used to tape the muzzle of ar-15' s during patrols in the jungle. they had this little covers that look like mini-condoms. you can still get them at walmart and similar places, in the pharmacy or office supply aisle. they are meant to go on your finger.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I always use insulation tape over the end of the barrel, especially when hunting in snow/ice.
It has no effect on accuracy, you can shoot through it no problem.

Another trick I use is a strip of car tyre inner tube as a scope cover. i.e. it is disposable and keeps moisture off the lens.
Can strip it off mighty quick when you need to.
The rubber also protects your scope from scratches and knocks.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will this not increase pressure or degrade accuracy?
No, it won' t. the air rushing out of the barrel ahead of the bullet will pop the tape off before the bullet gets to the muzzle. Just never let anything get INSIDE the muzzle, is all!!

Quick Reply: Tape on my barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.