Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tape on my barrel? >

Tape on my barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tape on my barrel?

Old 07-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tape on my barrel?

Why is it that you can put tape on the outside, but if you put a little ball of it like 1cm down the barrel it would be dangerous? Do you lightly put the tape on or really rub it on hard and it will still blow off? Also doesn' t this get your barrel all sticky? I have heard of those mini condom things you put on muzzle loaders and you can shoot right throug them. If you got rain down your barrel of a center fire would it affect the accuracy or would the water blow out from the air b4 the bullet?
Old 07-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

A toy balloon works as good as anything...they even come in colors to suit your taste and a 100 count bag will last you awhile.

AA
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rub it hard, and it will still blow off!! Put it inside, and it becomes a bore obstruction that interferes with the passage of the bullet!! The toy balloon is even better!!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nuge, I put a piece over the barrel then rap the outside with another piece of tape tight, to make sure it holds in place well. I mentioned I always carry a roll as well just in case I require to re-apply, etc. As far as sticky, it comes off with some rem oil or similar very easily, never had any problem with left over residue from the tape. I use this technique all the time for ML to prevent moisture effecting the charge. In CF it is more of a preventive measure, to keep the barrel clear and unobstructed. I am not sure moisture in the barrel will have a huge effect on performance, but if moisture is left in the barrel, it can cause rust and pitting of the rifling and that will lead to loss of accuracy and other issues over time. The tape or whatever you choose to use, will make cleaning the firearm a quicker task when hunting wet weather and their is no effects for doing so in POI, accuracy or safety. As mentioned the tape is blown off well in advance of the bullet reaching it, if you place any material inside the barrel, you' ll effect the pressure and as stated it becomes a obstruction in this case it will hinder the bullet path.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter... If you put the tape on wont it create a little dip that sinks into the barrel, which would hinder the path of the bullet? I just don' t see why the air wouln' t blow a little mud out of the barrel if it can blow a tight piece of tape?
Old 07-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well nuge15 I guess you' ll just have to trust us on this one.If you don' t believe it don' t put tape over your muzzle.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:15 PM

I dont use anything over my rifle when hunting, just keep the muzzle pointed down...However, I do use a balloon on the end of my shotgun when waterfowl hunting to prevent water from entering the barrel when shooting. I don' t see how tape or ballon would affect the rifle though....Just never done it before.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nuge, a little dirt will get blown out, but if your crawling a mile on your belly trying to get a shot at that antelope buck, why chance it! I never said anybody should or has to do it, I have just found it to be another thing to help ensure safety and success when I take to the field.

The original question was will it cause any harm, excess pressure or effect the POI and the answer is it will not!!!! You' ll have to decide wether you want to try it or not. It wasn' t my intent to get everybody to tape the barrel, just give some advice, experiences, reasons why and let everybody decide for themselves what to do.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 AM

I use the fingers from rubber gloves. Cut off about 1 inch of finger and it will snap down over the muzzle, make a nice tight seal and it is thin enough that the bullet never even sees it. I use nitrile gloves, but latex would work fine too.

It is especially important for muzzleloading in the rain. I use this method and still hunted in a pouring rain for 10 hours with my CVA Bolt action and it fired instantly when I asked it to. Keep the muzzle up (to keep the action dry). I was thinking about how to make a rain cover for the action, but the 209 primer is hot enough to burn through trace moisture and seems to plug up the hole pretty well, keeping the big stuff out.

Just be sure to take the cover off when home, or water under the edge can cause rust.

Chubber
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter... If you put the tape on wont it create a little dip that sinks into the barrel, which would hinder the path of the bullet? I just don' t see why the air wouln' t blow a little mud out of the barrel if it can blow a tight piece of tape?
nugey boy, To convince yourself, try this little test. Put a piece of tape over the muzzle of your rifle, as directed above. Then fire it. Next, put some mud into your bore, then fire it. Which one caused your barrel to burst at the point of the obstruction? Be sure you do it in this order, or you will need a new barrel before you get a chance to try the tape!![&:]

(!! NEVER PUT MUD IN YOUR BARREL!! REALLY!!![]

Quick Reply: Tape on my barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.