Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Another Remington Junk Report >

Another Remington Junk Report

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another Remington Junk Report

Old 07-03-2003, 08:44 PM
bigcountry

Default Another Remington Junk Report

Well, my brother is not much of a shooter. He has guns but don' t take the time to go shooting much or take his son shooting. So he asked which 22LR to by my nephew for his B-Day, age 9, I said a 10/22, hands down. He goes and gets him this Rem 597, I think cause they were on sale at wally world. A semi. Well, I am in Ky for a few days and take him shooting to sight the scope in. This thing jams like nobodies business. Needless to say his feelings was hurt, cause I have been shooting my 10/22 without a mishap. He says " uncle mark, I wish dad got me a gun like yours" . I felt like giving him mine. I told big brother the rems were jammers and told him the dismay I have had with big green out the last 5 of them I have bought. I mean this thing cost 120 dollars. A few more dollars and he could have had a marlin, or my ruger, or anything but this rifle. I hate seeing my nephew disappointed.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another Remington Junk Report

i dont know whats wrong with remington.......why put out junk and hurt your name??...oh well its not my company....i agree a 10/22 is a great semi 22......my dad bought a semi 22.....its a savage....like 100 bucks at walmart.....he gave it to me....ive put countless rounds through it.....my only complaint is i cant find mags for it!! i like it alot...even if it is a savage.....that would beat a 597 any day.....all i heard about them is bad.....too bad you brother didnt listen.......
Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one too and what a piece of crap. I finally got it to shoot after grinding down the ejector and filing the extractor so it would sling the spent cases out the ejection port and not into the top of the reciever. Remington didn' t want to help a bit either when I called them about it. Pay a gunsmith, yeah right.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

Your brother asks for advice, then doesn' t follow it. What can you say? Maybe get the kid a good rifle for Christmas or his birthday.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:13 PM
bigcountry

My brother is Mr. Company man and throws money at issues. So his solution for buying my nephew a gun is go to Walmart the day of his birthday and if they don' t have have the ruger, get the highest price substitute cause its too much trouble to find one.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a 597 once.............HAD. Jammed like a peanut butter sammich.

These Remington junk reports are getting a little too common for me. I' m going to stick with my older Rem' s.............................
Old 07-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 597' s and 710' s have just about ruined Remingtons reputation!
Right now I would not buy ANY new Remington!
Old 07-04-2003, 08:19 AM

i saw an ad in a hunting magazine where rem is offering the new .17 cal in " YOU GUESSED IT" MODEL 597!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 AM
bigcountry

Well the boys got it and is depressed as all get out. Ok, what seems to be the major problem on this rifle? Is it the ejector? Seems to me that the clip is not that great? Can it be fixed? I am going to see if my gunsmith up in MD can do anything for it. Doesn' t look as cut and dry taking apart. Actually I shot some stingers thru it this morning and it only jams 1 out 15 shots or so.

Quick Reply: Another Remington Junk Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.