Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box? >

Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Spike

T/C Icon Classic 270
Old 07-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Ruger No1 they don't get enough credit for being a superb accurate rifle out of the box. And for the money they are worth every penny.
The one I had sure wasn't....I returned it to Ruger three times for accuracy issues....Finally I got Ruger to admit over the phone that their warranty on these guns is 1.5" at 50 yards!...mine was a varmint model too!

Terrible!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Every one I've ever had will shoot holes in holes. Not saying it don't happen and for them to say 1 1/2 groups at 50yds might as well be shooting slugs out of a shotgun a little tough to swallow. I've heard the No 1 horror stories I'm not convinced yet and I've shot them 30plus years and my safe is full of them. Nah I'm sticking with what works.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

From what Ive seen, and I reload alot for a lot of different calibers and makes of rifle, is that any production firearm will out shoot the shooter if a few conditions are met. Sight mounting and alignment has to be correct with good optics. Cheap optics can make great rifles shoot piss poor. Stock to action/barrel fit is critical. Bedded or floated pick what you like just make sure its correct. Develope the load for your rifle. Accuracy will always be better with bullets tailored to your rifle. And make sure the rifle fits you and doesnt have tremendous trigger pull. That being said someone mentioned Remington 700 sendero earlier. Id take that rifle in a 300 win mag any day. I own one and by far, even against custom 300's, best shooting 300 win I have ever picked up.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
From what Ive seen, and I reload alot for a lot of different calibers and makes of rifle, is that any production firearm will out shoot the shooter if a few conditions are met. Sight mounting and alignment has to be correct with good optics. Cheap optics can make great rifles shoot piss poor. Stock to action/barrel fit is critical. Bedded or floated pick what you like just make sure its correct. Develope the load for your rifle. Accuracy will always be better with bullets tailored to your rifle. And make sure the rifle fits you and doesnt have tremendous trigger pull. That being said someone mentioned Remington 700 sendero earlier. Id take that rifle in a 300 win mag any day. I own one and by far, even against custom 300's, best shooting 300 win I have ever picked up.
I'm the Sendero guy. I've had two, one was the original Sendero in .300 Win mag. The other is the Sendero II same chambering. Either would be my first choice for out of the box, no alterations accuracy in the chamberings requested.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

My sendero II actually came with the stock rubbing the barrel. Found it before I ever put a bullet in the magazine. I am not a fan of free float so I hogged out the stock and full length bedded it. One of the most amazingly accurate firearms I have ever touched. Always glad to meet another sendero fan. What kind of load are you feeding yours?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by needs_recoil
My sendero II actually came with the stock rubbing the barrel. Found it before I ever put a bullet in the magazine. I am not a fan of free float so I hogged out the stock and full length bedded it. One of the most amazingly accurate firearms I have ever touched. Always glad to meet another sendero fan. What kind of load are you feeding yours?

I shoot an old school load of 71.0 gr. of IMR4350, Sierra 180 gr. BTSP lit with a Fed 215 GMM. With a 26" barrel it will get me right at 3100 fps. Although its definitely not a light gun for packing around its a cream puff to shoot given its hefty weight and cushy recoil pad.

Ultimately I traded back for my original Sendero as I preferred its stock design and lack of shiny finish.

It is amazingly accurate and I have at times shot prairie dogs with it beyond 400 yds.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Im using 72 grains of imr 4831 with 180 accubonds for elk and ballistic tips for paper. Im getting pretty much the same 3100 fps. Dont wanna pack it elk huntin again. But I would in a second if I know the shots could start getting long.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

i know alot of people are going to disagree with me when i say this but ive found the lee enfield no.4 mk1T to be the most accurate rifle out of the box. yes it is a snipers rifle built using existing actions but considering the numbers it was made in and that almost all rifles were rebuilt by H&H, it could be counted at a factory rifle. i have had 2 of them and 3 no.1 mk3HT's, 2 of which was unissued and if i can do my part i can get a 3 inch group at 500 yards with 174 matchkings.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 700 and Sako.