Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box? >

Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most accurate Hunting rifle out of the box?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by syrupman
100% fact that the savage model 1100 with accustock in .308 is the most accurate civilian avaliable gun out of the box and used period
I've never heard of a Savage 1100...Remington makes an 1100 but everyone knows that's a shotgun...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'm not going to say the most accurate but the Winchester M70's have really shown some fine accuracy.

Two weeks ago I shot a 2" 25 shot group. Take away 4 fliers and it brings it down to 1.3" for 21 shots. Take away a couple that are just outside and that would be 0.9" for 19 shots.

Tom
I agree....the Carolina made M-70 is a very accurate rifle.....but more than that it works.....something Savage doesn't do...the safety works, the extractor works, the rounds feed well, the ejector works.....

There's a heck of a lot more to a rifle than accuracy!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big,

I think Relentless stole your avatar.

I know because the “comment” was directed at me, rather than ever addressing the poster’s question.

Do you think he’s off his meds again ??

Maybe just playing “Mr. know it all”, as usual ?!?!

Why does he find it necessary to try to put other’s down, just to try to make himself feel important……………………..I guess ??

Childish – huh !!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Vapodog
I agree....the Carolina made M-70 is a very accurate rifle.....but more than that it works.....something Savage doesn't do...the safety works, the extractor works, the rounds feed well, the ejector works.....

There's a heck of a lot more to a rifle than accuracy!
I own a Savage 116 and have no idea what you are talking about above. My Savage has done nothing but work and feed flawlessly since the day I bought it. What kind of problems are you talking about?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Scott Gags
I own a Savage 116 and have no idea what you are talking about above. My Savage has done nothing but work and feed flawlessly since the day I bought it. What kind of problems are you talking about?

I owned a Savage 16 in 270 WSM for a short while and I have to agree with you. It functioned flawlessly....cycling the short fat WSM cartridge was no problem. I wound up selling the rifle but not because of performance issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
What do you think the most accurate big game hunting rifle out of the box is these days?

Game: Whitetails, Mule deer, Elk
Caliber: 30-06 or 300 Win Mag
Distance: 20 to 400 yards

From what I have read Savage (accu trigger & stock), TC Icon, and Tikka T3 are some of the most accurate available today. What do you think?
I have the Savage with the accu trigger in 30.06, and yes it's a very good gun at a very fair price, but to answer your question I'd have to say that the most accurate HP rifle that you described is any middle of the road gun or better from any reputable manufacturer, that you practice with regularly, maintain properly, and obtain comfort and confidence with over time. That's the most accurate rifle!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by syrupman
100% fact that the savage model 1100 with accustock in .308 is the most accurate civilian avaliable gun out of the box and used period
I think syrupman meant the model 110.

Read this,

News

Team Savage Takes National Title, Breaks 1,000-yard Record

This list of long-range events Team Savage has won recently is getting almost as long as the distances they shoot at.
They recently added the 2010 F T/R National Championship to that list by taking the team competition in grand fashion. The won both the 600 and 1,000 yard events, establishing an new 1,000-yard record of 778-21X.
Darrell Buell of Damascus, OR; John Weil of Welches, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR made the trip to Sacramento, CA to represent Savage Arms. The competition featured some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the Country. But, once again, those expensive custom guns were no match for four skilled marksmen armed with stock Savage Model 12 rifles.
"We continue to be thrilled with the winning results from Team Savage. It says a lot about them and it says a lot about the rifles," Savage VP of Sales & Marketing Brian Herrick said. "We're not trying to tell anybody that they can just buy a Savage and shoot like Darrell, John, Monte and Stan, but it should be fairly obvious by now that shooting stock Savage rifles isn't holding these guys back at all."

Imformation from --> http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

JMHO
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Scott Gags
Scott,

What I think Vapo is talking about is the fact that the M70 is considered one of the most reliable actions ever made. The fact that it's been around a long time and done so well, the fact that it has the premier safety mechanism available on a bolt rifle etc etc....

I've seen a Savage or two taken apart. The machining in them isn't the prettiest thing in the world. I'm not talking the looks of the thing. It's more of a looks cheap sort of thing.

I guess I shouldn't speak for Vapodog so I'll just butt out and see if he responds.

I have seen the Savages shoot and even shot a couple myself. They do shoot really well. Very well in fact.

Tom
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Every rifle mentioned is capable of the necessary accuracy to kill game in most practical scenarios.... Except of course for the rare bad egg that all manufacturers turn out from time to time.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:17 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Big,

I think Relentless stole your avatar.

I know because the “comment” was directed at me, rather than ever addressing the poster’s question.

Do you think he’s off his meds again ??

Maybe just playing “Mr. know it all”, as usual ?!?!

Why does he find it necessary to try to put other’s down, just to try to make himself feel important……………………..I guess ??

Childish – huh !!!
I have no idea if relentless is on meds or not. You will have to ask him.

I just know I do not and will not comment on any rifle unless I know what I am talking about and actually own a few. Its pretty poor that many posters will.

I do own sakos, rems, savages, winchesters, marlins, browning, etc. I have savages that are more accurate than sakos, and have remingtons that are more accurate than savages. But that doens't mean sakos are not good or that I would take savages over sakos.

There are no reason to get your panties in a bunch. If you own them, then that is fine.

Last edited by bigcountry; 07-28-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.