Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What Shotgun/ Slug/Scope Combo Do You Use? >

What Shotgun/ Slug/Scope Combo Do You Use?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What Shotgun/ Slug/Scope Combo Do You Use?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
That Browning A-bolt is sweet, if I could ever find one I would buy it
I purchased it in 1997. They have tripled in value since then.

I wish I could say that about my investments these days.

It does shoot as good as it looks.

bb
Old 08-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Spike

870 Wingmaster with a Hastings cantilevered slug barrel and a Leupold 3X9 (not sure of the scope model, but it's a good scope). I use 2&3/4" standard Winchester sabot slugs. Great combo for up to 100 yards. Tried other ammo, but the standard slugs have plenty of punch and don't kill the shooter too much. I don't go for that bit about the bigger, louder, and most expensive hardest kicking muzzle blinding ammo is the best. The slugs I use could probably kill 4 or 5 deer with one shot if they were positioned side to side. I don't think I need more power than that.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that my Marlin 512 does not like slugs moving faster than 1600 fps. 2.75 " Brenneke KO Sabots are awesome in my gun.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I have found that my Marlin 512 does not like slugs moving faster than 1600 fps. 2.75 " Brenneke KO Sabots are awesome in my gun.
Uncle N, but how do they perform on the animal? A while back I tried the much hotter Copper Solids. They kicked like a mule, caused my ears to ring, and the deer ran off like rabbits after being hit shot by my hunting buddy and me. After an unusual long tracking and recovery, our butcher confirmed how they actually performed poorly on the animal. The slugs peeled apart (poor slug weight retention and penetration) and broke into four little pieces and were scattered about in the animal some just under the hide. After that hunt we went back to the standard sabot slug and resumed the experience of a much better impact with the delivery of some solid lead with proper expansion to the vitals and beyond (usually a devastating exit wound) and more often the animal dropping on the spot. That's when I learned my lesson that it's not about kick flash and noise, but rather how the bullet performs on the animal. Since then I've been told that Remington has improved their Copper solid sabot slugs, but I'm sticking with what works for me. There will always be new stuff coming out, but it's not always better than the stuff that's been around.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

tag for interest. I shot a friends mossberg, rifled barrel, with the hornady slugs and it was heads and tails over my mossy w smooth slug barrel.

I have ordered a new barrel for mine, I hope it performs as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Marlin model 55 that I turned into a smoothbore slug gun. I cut the barrel at 20", glass bedded the receiver and free floated the stock. I then drilled and tapped the receiver to accept a scope mount that I machined myself, the scope has to be high and left in order to clear the bolt. I use an old Tasco 3-9x32MM scope, the good ones from Japan back in the 1970's. Because the scope is mounted off center, I have an unobstructed view of my Lyman peep sight and a ramp front sight that I also machined. This gun's favorite slugs are the Winchester 2 3/4" 1 oz foster slugs. 4-5" groups at 100 yards are average, and I can hit milk jugs easily at 125 yards. I'd go into more detail but this isn't the gun review forum.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Spike

I use a 12ga 870 wm with a cantilever fully rifled barrel. Tasco 2x cheapo scope. Sighted in for 150yrds. I get about 4-6" groups. I use remington core locts and they kick like a mule. They always drop the deer in its tracks. Longest shot was alittle over 100yrds and its lungs were jello. Box of shells is $17 so you dont wanna miss!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Browning BPS with a Hastings cantilever rifled slug barrel
Weaver 2-7X scope.
Federal Hydrashock 3" sabots. Kicks like a mule but gets a Bang-Flop most of the time.

I am good to about 150yds but shots are rarely over about 50 yds due the terrain.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870 w/ a Hastings Cantilever full rifled barrel. I just put a Nikon 2x7x32 along with a Remington Sure Shot Stock this year. Tested different slugs and the best was Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4". I was able to get a 3", 5 shot group at 100 yards off a bench rest. I was very happy with it.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coach - the Brenneke KO Sabot has resulted in one buck dropped on the spot, and another that didn'y get up when he was shot in his bed. Those are the only deer I've shot with them. The bedded buck was shot in the neck and the other was shot through the shoulders. The slug did not exit, but did break both shoulders.

I've shot a bunch of deer with the Winchester BRI style sabot too, in 2.75" and 3" and they perform as well as the Brennekes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.