Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recoil charts? >

Recoil charts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil charts?

Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Recoil charts?

Anybody know a quick-n-dirty place I can find that lists recoils for popular calibers/guns? Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Recoil charts?

This is the only one that I know of.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Old 07-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

FL/GA Hunter, go on and buy that big magnum - we all know you' re going to. I just bought a .270 I hope to use for elk next year and recoil had a lot to do with why I bought what I did. I don' t like getting the snot kicked out of me when I' m supposed to be having fun. Hawks recoil tables are good, but if you really want your eyes opened check out the 12 gauge recoil. I never feel my 12 when I' m shooting pheasants or ducks, but now I understand why sighting in my old slug barrel hurt so good. http://www.chuckhawks.com/12gauge.htm Jim
Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 AM

Try www.huntingcorner.com, www.zviss.com, www.rfgc.com, And www.biggameinfo.com. These came up under my search option. Just figure out the weight of your gun and load your are using. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:41 AM

isn' t there a sight where there is a recoil calculator? plug in caliber, bullet weight....and it gives u recoil?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:31 AM

adkfreeridex,
One of my favorite subjects. You' ll have to enter a little bit more info -- namely grains of powder, muzzle velocity and weight of rifle, but here you go:

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Note it gives you both pounds recoil and recoil VELOCITY. The latter is where the turkey load shooters get a little off track thinking 12 bores are overly significant kickers in the grand scheme of felt recoil.

------------------------------------------
Just an observation:

Hunters in Africa must consume lots of vitamins, drink fortified water, eat nails for breakfast, and sleep in the dark compared to their North American counterparts -- how else could they handle the rifles they shoot over there without complaining about it?

The preservation of ones life must put a little different spin on the need to shun recoil.

Recoil is good. Recoil is power. Power is your friend. Power is safety. Must be a little bit different mindset over there -- I doubt the physical human bodies are any different except maybe a little less fat.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 07-03-2003, 07:19 PM

Hi Fl, you stuck up for me. Once! I will give you some info, get the book Understanding Ballistics by Robert A. Rinker. Lots of info and very educational. If you get the book watch out for some of the math, it is basic math but if your answers do not make sence you have convert into grains. For example on how to figure out recoil he mentions rifle weight. You have to convert the weight of your rifle into grains not pounds. Great book but at times confusing. The book gets into everything and for a person into ballistics very well worth the money!!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 AM

I think that most of the rifles carried on safari are quite a bit heavier than the ones that are carried in the woods here. A full stock and forearm of heavy walnut, enough steel in the receiver and barrel to handle the full strength loads and it may even be a double rifle with just that much more steel in it. Also, shooting offhand while standing can take much of the " punch" out of the recoil. Much easier on the body than sitting or prone with the same load. As long as you have the stock firmly welded and lean into it a bit (wingshooter style) you will be fine.

A .375 H&H double barreled rifle would have no more total recoil than a 308 with a synthetic stock. Even a 405 Nitro is manageable.

Of course, around here we don' t commonly use gun bearers to follow us around and tote our shooting irons for us.

Chubber

Just an observation:

Hunters in Africa must consume lots of vitamins, drink fortified water, eat nails for breakfast, and sleep in the dark compared to their North American counterparts -- how else could they handle the rifles they shoot over there without complaining about it?