Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 practise at what ranges >

practise at what ranges

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

practise at what ranges

Old 06-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default practise at what ranges

At what ranges do you practise with your hunting rifles.I practise out to 500 yards and will not take a shot at a game animal at any distance that I have not practised at.I do see many people that sight in their gun at 100 yards but never shoot any further at the range yet they often attempt shots at 300 yards or more on game.Some even have trajectory charts attatched to their gun but have never actually shot long distance to verify if the charts are correct for their gun.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: practise at what ranges

i practice out to 500 yards on a regular basis in rain,snow,wind,burning hot sun and have a full understanding of how each of those conditions affect bullet flight.i have also seen people do the same thing.i find it absoluty amazing that someone would or could base there shot on a ballistic chart with out ever shooting that range.i have also witness someone sight in with one type bullet and show up for the hunt with something completely different(becouse they were on sale)and wounder why they can' t hit anything.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:09 AM

I sight in at 75-100yds for load development. Then I use a 200 yd range (longest I have access to) to set how high I want my impact to be, which depends on what I am hunting.

For practice for a hunting trip I leave the benchrest and go to a friends home range. It is still only about 200yds max. We shoot milk jugs, pop bottles, oranges etc from modified field positions, usually sitting and knealing. I like to shot targets where I get a instant reaction.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:58 AM

200 yds is the longest range I have access to, but that' s ok for me, because I don' t think I' ve ever seen longer than a 300 yard shot. With the kind of hunting I do, I' m lucky to see 150 yards, and I' m plenty practiced up at that kind of range.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 PM

I typically burn three to five thousand rounds of centerfire a year, mostly offhand at ranges up to 700 yds, but most of it is 100, 200, and 300 yds. I think I will try not shooting any for a year or two and go buy a box of coreloks three days before deer season and shoot three of them at a five gallon bucket from about forty yards proped on the hood of my truck. That seems to work for about 90% of all the hunters in the world. I personally wouldnt be opposed to a written test and a proficiency test as a requirement for buying a hunting license. Its been my experience that a very small percentage of hunters take the time to learn to use their equipment properly. Here' s to the few hunters who are also shooters.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:49 PM

I' m lucky to have my own 200yd range about 50ft from the room I' m sitting here typing in that I can use whenever I feel like it.I' d worry about not shooting further but in 39 years of buck shooting only 2 have been over 100yds and they were both at about 125.Unless I hunted powerlines and huge fresh clear-cuts or maybe huge open flowages or fields, I just couldn' t find a place to make a really long shot.My days of shooting groundhogs at 300-400yds in Pa.are long gone and up north here a long shot is 100-150yds.Course the mature bucks aren' t out in the open in powerlines or cuts that much in daylight anyway unless they' re spooked and running.Down in the old cedar bogs and thick bedding areas are where I find em' and it don' t take a ballistic chart taped to the rifle ............just one shot in the right place.I guess you could say I practice year round at the ranges I hunt

woods
Old 06-28-2003, 10:34 PM
bigcountry

For my hunting rifles, I practice 300 yards. Its as far as I want to shoot at most game. If I doing crop damage permits, I will shoot farther for practice, but if its a nice rack deer, I will wait until he gets within 200 yards. But I like hunting the big boys in the thickets, and rarely have to worry about shooting past 30 yards. Moose hunting, I will take a 350 yards shot depending on the conditions.

Target rifles, 500yards, still trying to graduate from that so I can move up to 800 yards.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

500m. Good shooting!!
Old 06-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I quit the shiloutte shooting a few years back and now seldom shoot past three hundred yards.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: practise at what ranges

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.