Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hunting rifle/ Target rifle opinions please >

Hunting rifle/ Target rifle opinions please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting rifle/ Target rifle opinions please

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default Hunting rifle/ Target rifle opinions please

I'm looking at getting either a Remington 700 or a Tikka T3. In either .270 win, 30-06, or .308.
Which rifle do you like better if you own either? And What round do you like better for Florida hunting and maybe a little bit of target shooting?
Thanks Brandon
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 700 ,Ive owned several and love em. They are very accurate out of the box, and to me, are the best looking bolt guns out there,. I do not like the looks and design of tikkas. That said tikkas are also very accurate, and have a better factory trigger than remington is currently producing. A 243 should be plenty for whatever you hunt down there. Thats my opinion.

between 06 308 or 270, Id say 308 in a 700, or 06 in the tikka, since they only come with long action receivers.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 07-05-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also own a model 700, and in .243.

Too answer your question; I'd go with a .270.

I also own tikka's big brother, Sako's A7

Find the features you want, and pick the one that shoulders best.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I personally like the 700s better than tikka. The 700 has aftermarket parts available to customize it in any configuration, for any purpose if you change directions later on. I also suggest buying used as the older ADLs can be had for around $400 dollars and are mostly shooters. As for caliber, well Im a little biased but the .270 win is the perfect southeastern rifle caliber IMO. Flat shooting. light recoiling ebough to put into a light rifle and hits game like the almighty lightning bolt of god.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Bought this one for $ 400 plus tax. Shoots anything headstamped .270 win into an inch and a quarter or better.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Bought this in a Tupperware walmart ADL stock for $300, also .270 win now in a Ti takeoff. Shoots roughly an inch with handloads.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

If your talking target shooting the 308 should get the nod with
the wealth of ammo available. 270 is the odd man out when it comes to ammo selection and cheap fmj surplus ammo. All 3 will kill equally well. As far as rifles, none of your choices are my favorite but the rem is always a nice looker and good shooter. The tikka and its included rings have that cheap budget look and feel. I put as much faith in that 1 inch guarantee as those extended warranty offers they send me in the mail for my car. Despite all the multitude of people touting that "guarantee" over the internet I have yet to hear of one person who has bought one that didn't pass muster. I highly doubt that every single tikka is 1moa rifle. More likely most tikka shooters can't even tell if their rifle was a 1 moa gun. Again I highly doubt that all of these great shooters are out there buying entry level tikkas. At least with Weatherby's you know the really good ones(1moa or less) become there "guarantee" rifles and the rest become regular old weatherby/ howas. Where do the avg shooting tikkas end up? do their accountants tell them to throw them out? No offense to tikka shooters. take care, just another opinion. Hope everyone had a good independence day weekend.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would say go for the remington. But I have no experience with a tikka. Never cared much for a 270 either. Now I own a rifle for each of the cartridges you are talkin about and I have to say I just love the accuracy that every 270 Ive ever picked up has. Ill take a 270 all day any day for any animal in the continental 48.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Typical Buck

I've always liked the Remington Senedero that is a sweet shooting rifle that you can pack around the woods and still go to the bench with. For the money I believe it was the best of it's class at the time. It is a tad heavier though. But I don't take that into consideration when buying a rifle other than it being too light for some calibers.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I've always liked the Remington Senedero that is a sweet shooting rifle that you can pack around the woods and still go to the bench with. For the money I believe it was the best of it's class at the time. It is a tad heavier though. But I don't take that into consideration when buying a rifle other than it being too light for some calibers.
+1 when you add hunting and target together.Like said a tad bit heavy .But where you are at you wont be humping up and down mountains all day.....LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.