Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 anyone heard of these before >

anyone heard of these before

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

anyone heard of these before

Old 07-01-2003, 05:33 PM

Default anyone heard of these before

www.mojosights.com

i wonder if they would fit my CZ VZ24 ?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone heard of these before

Yup, the one that' s made for the turkish mauser should fit the vz-24.
I don' t own the vz-24 but I do have its predecessor the 98/22- it has the exact same leaf sight as the Turkish mauser. Its realy easy to change out- remove the pin from the hinge on the leaf sight (if it has a pin) press down on the hinge and pull the leaf sight out rearwards- the Mojo sight goes back in the same way the leaf came out. With the mojo you should be able to set elevation at a given distance without having to tweak or replace the front sight, though you still need to change your windage by drifting the front sight left or right.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:15 AM

thanks briman..

i am waiting from a reply from mojo sights in seeing which one best suites my rifle since they have quite a few. i think i will set this gun up to use when still hunting in the woods.

thanks again..
Old 07-02-2003, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK for target shooting - not OK for hunting.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:41 PM

eldeguello..

i take it you have had a bad experience with the mojo sights before? could you let me into your secret?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having an aperture sight that far away from your eyes probably isn' t the best bet in low light or for fast aquisition.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quilly, I used an SKS that had an aperture type sight in place of the regular rear leaf with the " U" shaped notch. There was no aperture on the front, just the regular post. I found that the rear aperture was too far away from my eye for the optical effect which makes the aperture rear superior to an open sight, and the thing obscured most of the target. This is no problem when shooting at fixed black bullseye targets on a target frame out in the open, like at a range, but it is a definite disadvantage when trying to acquire an animal in brush or partially screened by vegetation. It' s like Briman said. For an aperture to work well on a hunting rifle, it has to be: A big hole; As close to your eye as it can be consistent with safety taking the rifle' s recoil into account. If your sight setup is correct, you are not even aware of the aperture when aiming. all you should see is the front sight blade and the targt- the whole target! Your eye will automatically center in the point of strongest light coming through the aperture, and all you do is put the top of the front blade on the spot you want the bullet to hit, and squeeze the trigger!! Try aiming an M1 or M1A rifle, and you will see how this works!

Incidently, there' s nothing secret about this, either! Our troops learned these principals in WWI, when comparing the 1903 Springfield sights with the 1917 Enfield variety, which were infinitely superior for fighting! The Springfield sights were designed so that they were better for target shooting than for shooting enemy soldiers or animals! That' s why all subsequent U.S. service rifles had aperture sights that were mounted close to the eye!![&o] If you want an aperture on a Mauser, get two holes drilled and tapped on the rear reeiver bridge, and mouint a Lyman No. 57 or Williams Foolproof on it where it' s supposed to be. Then take the leaf sight off!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:09 PM

eldeguello...

do you think i can put the lyman peep on the the mounting holes for the rear sight
Old 07-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not unless those holes are in the right side of the receiver bridge, right in front of the bolt handle ....