Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7mm Rem Mag Federal 110 grain >

7mm Rem Mag Federal 110 grain

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Rem Mag Federal 110 grain

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default 7mm Rem Mag Federal 110 grain

anyone ever use these? its a barnes tipped tsx (no lead).

i am curently using the remington 140 grain managed recoil rounds during deer season but i figure they are a little much for coyotes, bobcats or fox. (really i would assume the round its self is too much, but this was my first gun and i could have done some better research).

i figure such a light round in such a big gun would allow for a quick thru and thru that wouldnt leave quite as much damage as a bigger, slower round. not to mention the ballistics are pretty impressive-half the drop at 300 yards- nice when im just out bench shooting to blow some time.

so is my logic correct and this might be a little better round for me? and what do you guys think of the no lead rounds? ive done some reading and for the most part the reviews on this round are very good, but they dont have much to say about copper bullets in general so its a mixxed bag
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'm also curious to see how well these perform. I'm hoping someone has some experience with them cause I thought about using them for antelope hunting out west.

If you try them let me know how it goes and how accurate they are out of your gun.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't count on less damage...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
I'm also curious to see how well these perform. I'm hoping someone has some experience with them cause I thought about using them for antelope hunting out west.

If you try them let me know how it goes and how accurate they are out of your gun.
i sure will, the ballistics app on my phone shows there is nothing close as far as flat trajectory for the 7mm rem mag, and something about it being copper its supposed to an approximate equivilent of a 140 grain lead round
Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Bradley how did you like the recuded recoil loads for your 7mm? I just got a 7mm and want to shoot it but I don't like the thought of the recoil without a jacket on. S I might try the lower recoil. How'd they do on deer? Thanks yes let us know how the other one shoot.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tipped TSX is fine, but load them in a normal weight, if you want lighter than normal go with 140-160gr TTSX.

I like the tips, and the idea etc...but no reason to go even lighter than what's already considered light.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Tipped TSX is fine, but load them in a normal weight, if you want lighter than normal go with 140-160gr TTSX.

I like the tips, and the idea etc...but no reason to go even lighter than what's already considered light.
im not loading these, this is a factory load from federal, the light weight is due to the fact they are copper and not lead
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gonewest
Bradley how did you like the recuded recoil loads for your 7mm? I just got a 7mm and want to shoot it but I don't like the thought of the recoil without a jacket on. S I might try the lower recoil. How'd they do on deer? Thanks yes let us know how the other one shoot.
i honestly cant answer your question, ive just had this gun and been hunting a year or so, so i dont have anything to compare to outside of the ballistics app on my phone. heres a comparison i did, both seem to be the same round, minus the managed recoil designation. everything is zeroed at 150 yards

140 grain remington managed recoil PSP Core-Lokt
@200 yards velocity 2265 energy 1600 ft/lbs drop 2 inches from zero, drop @ 300 yards 13 inches from zero

140 grain remington express PSP core-lokt
@200 yards velocity 2685 energy 2248 drop 1.7 inches from zero, drop @ 300 yards 8.5 inches from zero

just for anyone interested here are the numbers for the load ive been asking about

110 grain federal premium barnes tipped tsx
@200 yards velocity 2917 energy 2100 drop 1.3 inches from zero, drop @ 300 yards 7 inches from zero

as for the kick, its really not bad with the managed recoil loads but like i said, all i can compare it to is a 12 gauge or a .22LR. Im a small guy, bout 5 foot 10 and 140 pounds and i can hit an anitfreeze jug at 200 yards all day off hand so the kick isnt bad enuff to make me flinch enough to miss the can and i usually shoot in a t-shirt and my shoulder gets a little sore after a box of ammo, but its real dull barely noticable and gone after a few hours. hope that helps

Last edited by bradley300; 06-26-2010 at 09:20 AM.