Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
cheap rem 700's from dicks warning >

cheap rem 700's from dicks warning

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cheap rem 700's from dicks warning

Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default cheap rem 700's from dicks warning

A guy i work with has bought 2 rem 700's from dick's. they have been on sale for under $500. I bought the 22-250 off of him cause he wanted the 308. Anyways, they both have bull barrels and mine has the olive green synthetic stock. his new one has a camo synthetic stock and I have to say, the camo is the worst i have seen. I thought those stocks were dipped hole. there is a seem with 2 different patterns on his. I felt bad for him but he should have looked. also the rem scope on the 308 was blurred and loose and stripped. He did take it back and they put a new bushnell on it for him.

So, here is my warning: Check the gun before you buy it. I know the 7oo's have always been good but be sure to check everything, stock, scope, screws, bolts whatever you can see. Still alot better than the 770 though.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

770 stills just an ol walmart bargain rifle
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why I wouldn't buy a rifle with a scope already on it. Especially a Remington stamped scope.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

Remington package scopes are no better than bb gun scopes. The rifle you speak of is the ADL varmint I believe. The stocks on them are poor but for the money you can get a great aftermarket stock from choate or boyds. Check them out, trust me its worth the money.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I don't get about guys buying guns. Why would you try to squeeze the thing down so far as to compromise what you're getting? You've got camo, slings, scopes, boots, knives, etc... that all cost money and all will deteriorate with time and be worthless. A gun if cared for will last forever. Why not just spend another $200-$400 to get a quality rifle. Heck a quality rifle will actually sell if you try and then you'll just recoup the difference back over the junk rifle.

I'm not saying to break the bank here. I'm not talking $1500 rifles. Again don't understand this one.

Tom
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

A rifle is an investment IMO. They arent things that wear out over night. I believe one should buy a quality firearm and put the best accesories he can afford on it i.e scope, rings and stock. Invest a little in smith work also like bedding or a trigger job. These are all things that will pay off in the long run.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

If they had put a B&C or McMillan on it and a Leupold scope, you wouldn't have bought it. See how that works?

Cheap is never good, Good is never cheap.

Last edited by Risasi; 06-25-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

You got a point, for some a turnkey rifle that they can pick up and go hunting is desirable. I prefer to put my own together so I get just what I want and usually cheaper.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

well, I don't think anyone here would have turned down the deal I got. He bought the rifle (22-250) new for $479. And sold it to me for $400 which included $220 in ammo. So, I have a new rifle that shoots dead on for actually $180. My 15 yo shot it off the bench yesterday at 325 yards and had a 4" group 4"'s high with a pos remington scope. To me, this gun was worth it all day long even at the original price. But the 308 he bought was a totally different story. Thats why I posted this warning....
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Invest in a better scope and you will be happy. Contrary to popular belief you dont have to spend a `pile of money for good glass either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.