Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Teach me about my new .270! >

Teach me about my new .270!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Teach me about my new .270!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Teach me about my new .270!

I finally ordered my first centerfire. I bought an Optima Elite with a muzzleloader barrel and a .270 barrel.

I can figure out the the .50, I've worked up loads for many smokepoles. The .270 on the other hand, I know nothing about. I've shot a couple, but that's the extent of it.

The only thing I will be doing with it right now will be 'yote hunting. I know it's a little overkill for a coyote, but I figured someday I may want to have it for deer hunting if I hunt in a state that allows rifles. Also, my best friend reloads .270's

What would be some shells that you would suggest to start with? What bullets/weights would be good for what I'm planning to use them for?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Well... almost all.

rw
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .270 is a very straight forward cartridge. It is one of the most versatile cartridges ever devised. Recoil is pretty mild and it shoots pretty darn flat.

What would be some shells that you would suggest to start with? What bullets/weights would be good for what I'm planning to use them for?
The 130 grain bullet will do nearly anything you want it to do. The only time you would need a heavier and tougher bullet would be for bigger game like elk. Anything up to the largest deer a regular ole 130 grain lead core bullet is perfect. I have found the Remington corelokts and Federal "blue box" soft points are generally very accurate in a wide variety of rifles and they will kill any deer alive.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Dominant Buck

my 270 shoots the Winchester Silver tips best and the federal blue box second..Also, many on here encouraged me to invest in a better scope...if you have the funds I would invest in a nice scope ..it makes a world of difference...

The Online Walmart store carries a lot of those very nice scopes and shipping to your house is 97 cents.

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-22-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Dominant Buck

To Hunt12ga,

If this rifle was the Walmart 270 model 700 package ..I'd change that scope.Mine came with a Remington scope..that is the worst plastic I've ever looked through...also my front mount was loose so I wasted a box of bullets trying to get it on paper. There are many decent scopes between 150.00 and 250.00..I got mine new off of ebay..a 4200 Elite Bushnell..crystal clear..I bought the nicer scope because my primary reason for purchasing the 270 was for long range shooting..All shooting under 100 yds I use my 30-30 Marlin but longer stuff I'll use my 270. I'm sure your also aware of sighting in your rifle about 2 inches high at 100 yds so it will be around bullseye at 300 yds. I was really surprised to see how different bullets shot totally different out of my rifle. ..
Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

Inexpensive Remington, Winchester, or Federal ammo would be my pick with 130 gr bullets. No such thing as overkill for coyotes, and you don't need premium bullets for deer.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your best friend reloads for 270 and you are asking what bullet to use well...the sky is the limit really. I reload for my 270 and 270 WSM and really like the Nosler BT's Accubonds and Partitions. I seem to get the best groups with the Accubonds. I reload mainly for deer hunting so you prob don't need a bonded bullets for dogs.

I have an Encore in 7mm-08 and reload for that also. Reloading for a break open single shot is a little different then others. You can usually seat the bullet out a bit further then what the book says or what your friend may use in his rifle(assuming its a bolt, pump, auto etc..)

Usually for my bolts I spend more time changing powder and bullets to get a accurate load then by adjusting the bullet seating compared to what I did for my Encore. I messed around with the bullet depth more then I usually do since I had a larger range on where to seat it.

If you are going to buy factory stuff I would also recommend the Fed. Fusions, I have had some good luck with them in my 308 and 30-06 (got them on sale). I also would prob lean to the 110 grn load for dogs but theres nothing wrong with using the 130's.

I'm sure if your buddy reloads you guys can work up a load that should be fine for your rifle. Like the other poster mentioned 1.5-2" high at 100 is prob best way to sight in the gun.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

For yotes I like the 110 grain vmax on top of 58 grains of IMR 4831 and a mag primer. For deer a 130 nosler ballistic tip will do the job. As far as factory ammo 130 grain core lokts will handle anything you need to.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Whoops ..wrong thread..

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-24-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

never tried those silvertips, maybe I should?

so far those 130gr blue box federals shoot the best for me.

Originally Posted by Chuck7
my 270 shoots the Winchester Silver tips best and the federal blue box second..Also, many on here encouraged me to invest in a better scope...if you have the funds I would invest in a nice scope ..it makes a world of difference...

The Online Walmart store carries a lot of those very nice scopes and shipping to your house is 97 cents.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

The silver tip is a great bullet for deer sized game. Most .270s Ive played with like it in available factory offerings also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.