Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rem and Savage .22's >

Rem and Savage .22's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem and Savage .22's

Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default Rem and Savage .22's

had lots Rem shotguns and rifles and loved em but how r their .22 autos? also heard Savage great rifles but how r their .22 autos and prices for Rem and Savage? thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was just a thread about the best 22 semi for the money. Every single answer was a Marlin Model 60. I don't think there is a better performing 22 for the money. If money is no object, than your answer will not be Remington or Savage.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington 597 .22 is the most overpriced trotline anchor I've ever bought! Stay away from them! The Marlin 60 is the best, dollar for dollar .22 made.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
There was just a thread about the best 22 semi for the money. Every single answer was a Marlin Model 60. I don't think there is a better performing 22 for the money. If money is no object, than your answer will not be Remington or Savage.
+1. Marlin Model 60 is the way to go IMO.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to shoot it and never modify it the Marlin 60 is a great choice. However, if you want to modify it or tinker with it, the Ruger 10/22 is the way to go. The downside is that out of the box the Marlin 60 is often more accurate. You can make the 10/22 more accurate though. Either one of those two are the way to go for semi auto .22's. For a bolt action the Savage Mark II is the way I'd go. Remington just doesn't seem to have a very good .22 out there.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Rem 597 .22 is an absolute TURD

Marlin Model 60 is the one you want.

EDIT-

WHY did you even start this thread? Your other thread was unanimously answered with a single Make and Model of the BEST budget .22 on the market. Please don't come on here in a few days and start a new posting on why your Rem 597 .22 won't feed.

Last edited by MO Archer; 06-17-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

The savage is more known for their accuracy with their bolt action 22's. I cant say to much about the remington because i havent shot one, but you dont hear to many good or bad things so i take it their in the middle.

If you want to customize your gun in the future than definitely get the ruger 10-22.

If you have to have a semi auto than the marlin model 60 really is the best choice.
the mossberg 702 plinkster is also a nice plinker gun, just dont expect the accuracy to be great.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
the mossberg 702 plinkster is also a nice plinker gun, just dont expect the accuracy to be great.
I got to shoot one of these of a friends. It shot decently, but the trigger was absolutely horrible. It also felt pretty cheap. It would be great for a truck gun or something that would get beat up, and they are cheap. However, you could tell it was no where near as nice as a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

FWIW I would suggest getting a decent bolt over a semi.They all have terrible triggers.The Ruger 10-22 was my first gun and I like it but....
Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
FWIW I would suggest getting a decent bolt over a semi.They all have terrible triggers.The Ruger 10-22 was my first gun and I like it but....
The trigger on the 10/22 stock is too heavy for me too, and I' really am not crazy about it. However, it was a lot better than the Mossberg I shot. You can also get an aftermarket trigger pretty easily and pretty cheap for the 10/22's and turn it into a great trigger. I'm not sure about the Marlin however. The only trigger I've seen from the factory that I think is great is a Accu Trigger. That being said I've never changed my triggers, but I don't like most of them and a trigger job could help them out. I just don't want to have to pay for it so I don't have one done.