Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles? >

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Did your Simmons Blazer scope fail on you?
No, it still works fine
41.18%
Yes, reticle came loose
17.65%
I replaced it with another scope because it wasn't very clear
29.41%
Yes, it wont hold zero
11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

So I see lots of the package rifles from Savage. More so than not. Walmart sells them, Bass Pro sells them, and local gun shops sell them. They all seem to have the cheapo Simmons Blazer scopes on them.

My question is has anyone bought this package? I know the scopes are crap when it comes to clarity and vision in low light. That's not what I'm asking. I'm not looking for recommendations for other scopes nor to hear how crappy this one is you haven't used it or how it's not clear.

I just wondered if for those that have bought them and used them with the scopes that came on you did the scopes fail you? If so how long did they last? Or are the scopes still going? If you changed the scope was it because it failed or because they weren't very clear?

Now obviously I wouldn't buy a Simmons Blazer scope but I've got a few friends with them and then seeing how many of these rifles are sold with them it makes me wonder if they are all really that bad when it comes to holding zero. Or if they work and hold zero and just aren't very clear. That's why I'm asking.

Also what caliber rifles were they on?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine worked fine when it was on my 7mmRM. But I dumped it before long. I stuck it on one of my 22s.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Hornet Master
Rather than all the backwards double speak,you should ask simply: "Hey,how many guys have made a Simmons puke?". Then: "The Blazer in particular?".

I've smoked well over a dozen myself.
I agree, but it only took one simmons for me. You know curiosity has the best of me. Why in the world would anyone shoot and destroy more than 2 or possibly 3 if a person gave it to ya??????

Life is too short to shoot crap.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, feel free to answer that then.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Savage model 16 a few years back but it had the upscale Simmons 8 Point scope and was mounted with horrid rings and bases. I did not give the scope a chance to fail as it was removed the minute I got it home.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW it looks like Blazer and 8 point are the same or very similar. So if you have that feel free to vote in the poll too.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Spike

I still have the Blazer on my .270. I shot my first buck a few weeks ago right at dark with no problems. However, I plan on changing it out this summer. There has been several times, that I couldn't make out bucks or does as the sun coming up or going down.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken schiet.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

i bought a 7mm-08 package 10Gxp savage that came with the cheap simmons 8 pt scope. I used it for a few years and it always worked. The gun sighted in okay etc.. and took a few deer with it. I recently upgraded the scope to a pentax. But to start out the simmons did just fine. It provided 2 seasons until i could afford something better.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have two Savage rifles, both came with a 3-9x32 Bushnell scope.

M116 in .270 still has the SS scope on it...limited field of view...does not focus well, however it has held its zero...looking to replace with a 4-12x40 IR mil-dot

M110 in 7mmRM broke the recticle after one season...has went through two others as well...currently I have a NcStar 3-9X50 IR mil-dot on it and it has worked great for 3 seasons...still looking to upgrade to a really nice scope in the 4-12 or 4-16x range.

Also broke a Tasco 3-9x40 this year while hunting in very cold (13 degree high) weather...it was on board a Remington 7400 in .270.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.