Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington "fit" issues.....help >

Remington "fit" issues.....help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington "fit" issues.....help

Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington "fit" issues.....help

I was able to buy back a Remington Left Hand XCR I needed to sell earlier. I've had all the metal Duracoated matte black and added a pair of stainless Talley screw lock rings in matching matte black Duracoat. It still has the POS Remington XCR stock on it though.

So here's my issue. When I shoulder the rifle....I feel "cramped". Like I'm shouldering a youth/compact rifle. Makes me feel like I'm too close to the scope and cant back away from it enough.
The scope is as far forward as the rings will allow.

I believe the XCR has a 13 1/2" LOP. A couple rifles that fit me perfectly are the Ruger M77 and the Win. M70.....both of which are listed at a 13 3/4" LOP.

Would that 1/4" shorter LOP make my Remmy feel that weird???

Any opinions would be welcomed....
Old 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Limbsaver recoil paid. I even use mine on my 22's. They slip right on and add about an 1"1/2 to 2". (I think.) Only $20 bucks at walmart and add a good feel when you shoulder your rifle.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you have the skills or a gunsmith nearby you can buy a black plastic recoil pad spacer. you will need a new recoil pad though because the pitch is gonna change a little so you cant use your old pad. i usually purchase a 1/2 spacer and add a grind to fit limbsaver recoil pad. i think the last one i had done because it annoyed me so much cost -80$ for my smith to do it with materials. i would try the 20$ slip on limbsaver from walmart first. medium or large size usually works for most of my guns so keep the receipt just in case you get the wrong one.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

So basically...... Add to the L.O.P.?

I'm an average size fella'. 5' 10" 185 lbs.

Does anyone else out there change their LOP so the gun feels right?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody is built differently. Only you can tell what feels right. I'd second the advice of trying a slip-on recoil pad to lengthen your LOP.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

I will third the slip on recoil pad. Im 6'1 and 230 pounds so size has little to do with it. I also use my limbsaver on every gun I shoot.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know this seems obvious, but have you shouldered all your firearms with the clothing you will be most likely wearing while hunting “that” game at “that” time of year ?

If still not comfortable; then either get a new recoil pad or a new stock………………….

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to move the scope forward before altering the stock length. Often a scope will be mounted far to close to the shooter which will cause you to back up on the stock. When you shoulder the firearm to where it's comfortable your scope is too near your face and you tend to move back with your head or reposition the stock on your shoulder. Either adjust the mounts or slide the scope in the mounts forward. You will stretch out toward the scope and this should correct your "cramped" issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps flip the bases around to get some more eye relief...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

is the problem that the scope seems too close?? or that the actual stock is short??

i cant see any way your noticing 1/4" difference from a gun that feels good and a gun that feels awkward...

personally i like my stocks kinda short...when i shoot an m4 my stock is collapsed and my nose is on the charging handle...

everyone is different...but i think this is more of a scope/mounting issue than it is a stock issue as 1/4" is hardly anything and you like a stock 1/4" different...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.