Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Need help choosing new caliber >

Need help choosing new caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help choosing new caliber

Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default Need help choosing new caliber

Hello, im new here i shoot down in south texas. I shoot deer,javalina,hogs mainly and also nilgai antelope. Iv been think of buying a browning x bolt hunter but cant decide on what caliber. Iv been thinking a 300 wsm or the 7mm rem mag. Im planning to use the barnes triple shock bullet. Can you help me decide.

Last edited by ABIEL_WSM; 05-17-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum...

How much experience do you have shooting 7mm Mags or 300 Mags??? If you can sit down and handle the recoil of 10-12 shots, then have at it, most can't...

Any caliber including .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, 25-06, 270 or 30-06 in a modern bolt action rifle with a good scope in 3x9x40 will do all you need to do...

Also, while the Triple Shocks are great bullets, I'd stick with standard cup and core or Nosler Partitons and shoot more for less...They will do just as well on the smaller animals you mentioned...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info man. Well i have a 270 wsm and a 243 and they have always got the job done even with nilgai. But since i want a new x bolt i cant decide what caliber i should get. I wanted to try something different. I can handle the recoil, unfortunatly i also had a 257 and 300 weatherby mag but they got stolen.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like two really good choices to me. Personally I would go with the 300 WSM. But then that is the one I bought. And I like your rifle choice. I personally believe you are wasting your money on the bullets. Any good bullet from a 300 WSM will easily do the job on the game you described. No need to pay $1 a bullet, unless you just have alot of money to burn. The Barnes bullet will not be a dimes bit more effective than a good Sierra or other good bullet. Tom.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 300 and 7mm magnums aren't going to do anything any better than what the .270WSM already does on animals 500 pounds and smaller.

IMHO you may as well skip over the duplicating cartridges and get into a .338.

BTW, I also agree that the BTSX bullets are way over rated in cartridges that aren't considered to be minimal for the game being hunted. It is my opinion that if you are using something like a .243 to take something as large as an elk then the Barnes bullets are warranted but certainly not with any of the cartridges you mentioned. Dead is dead and just because you spent 3 - 4 times as much for them doesn't make the animal any more dead.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Spike

Thanks for the comments and advise the only reason i said the barnes cause a local gun dealer told me to try them out, but i have always used just basic remington corelokt and also nosler partition. Being that i live in south texas i really dont think i need such a big caliber, they just medium sized game. Im thinking about trying out the 25-06 or 308, when i shot my first nilgai i shot it with my 243 in the head.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to buy a new rifle and just want a different caliber, I'd go with .30-06 personally. There's an abundance and wide variety of that bullet and they're inexpensive. That's more than enough for anything you might come across in Texas..... Except maybe El Chupacabra....
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd not worry too much...the bullet does more work than the headstamp. Maybe you have a sweet spot for a cartridge already?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd agree, I have a hankering for either a 25-06 or a 7mm-08...

I just don't have the need, my .243 convinces me each season that it's up to the task...

Between brothers, cousins, nephews and buddies we have just about every cartridge you could imagine...They all work well when the hunter does his part...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the 308 out of your choices and current guns. I personally like the short action guns. None of your choices will really out do the 270WSM by much so Id go with a smaller lighter gun compared to a long action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.