Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rem 700 trigger question >

Rem 700 trigger question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem 700 trigger question

Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem 700 trigger question

I put a Rifle Basix after market trigger on my 700 when I bought it 2 years ago. I like it alot, but noticed something that kinda troubles me.

When I have the safety on, and hold the gun barrel up, or to the side, the trigger, which has lots of play in the safe position, falls back, and if i flick off the safety ,the hammer drops without pulling the trigger! Has anyone else noticed this? I believe my sear engagement is set enough, because I can not make this happen w/ the safety off, no matter how hard I slam the bolt forward. I also can not make this happen if the gun is facing in a direction where the trigger is falling forward w/ the safety on.

If anyone else who owns a 700 w/ the factory trigger ( or any trigger I guess) wants to try this, to see what happens Id appreciate it.

1st- PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd- cycle the bolt a few Xs w/ the safety off.

3rd- w/ the bolt closed, put the safety in the on(rear) position.there should be play in the trigger w/ the trigger falling back and forward when you point the muzzle to the ceiling and floor.

4th- tilt the rifle on its side, w/ the muzzle point slightly up, so the trigger falls back, in that position, flick off(forward) the safety and see if the hammer falls.

PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!!! DONT POINT THE RIFLE AT ANY LIVING PERSON OR THING, WHEN YOU DO THIS !!!!!!!!! AGAIN, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO AMMO IN, OR EVER NEAR THE GUN!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like properly adjusting the trigger would help
Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Sounds like properly adjusting the trigger would help
Do tell, what about what Ive wrote tells you my adjustment is wrong?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't have enough spring pressure against the trigger to return it to the forward position. I don't know off hand, on the Rifle Basix trigger, which screw it is that you would adjust but this is your problem.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BB, Im thinking its the sear engagement screw. I think it has to be backed out much more than the factory one.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's not the sear engagement screw. From everything you said.

If the trigger is flopping around it's the screw that adjusts the trigger pull spring. The trigger should not move around on its own with the safety engaged. If the trigger is moving around on its own then the trigger pull screw is backed out too far and the spring isn't applying pressure to the trigger.

By trigger I mean the part that your finger actually pulls against.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
If the trigger is moving around on its own then the trigger pull screw is backed out too far and the spring isn't applying pressure to the trigger
AAAAAAAAA HA! Thanks again
Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to the instructions.
They are not a bad trigger when properly adjusted
http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...p9tvfh703qsoo4
Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Here is a link to the instructions.
They are not a bad trigger when properly adjusted
http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...p9tvfh703qsoo4
Thanks! thats actually just for installation though. I couldnt find adjustment instructions online. I think youre supposed to call them. I think BB is right, my trigger pull is backed out too far , I didnt even think about that, DUH!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I installed a Rifle Basix in one of my 700's a few years ago, and have never experienced your problem. Something is misadjusted. I have never had a floppy trigger in any position that I can recall of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.