Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please. >

Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.

OK....Here's the deal.
I have a .270, a .30-06, and a 7mm. Rem. Mag. all in Ruger M77's
I shoot them all A LOT and recoil is not an issue with any of them.

I have ALWAYS wanted a .300 Win. Mag, and I'm thinking of getting the .300 Winny in a Ruger Hawkey in the left handed stainless/laminate model.

I'm not a recoil sensitive person, but for some reason I'm a little afraid of getting caught by the scope over my eye. I shot a friends Ruger No. 1 in .300 Win. Mag once and the scope just BARELY touched my eyebrow.....kinda' made me think "That was close!!!".

I dont NEED the .300 Win. I just hunt deer and hogs. Just always been something about that caliber that has made me want one.

Like I said, the "felt recoil" doesn't bother me. I shoot 12 guage 3 1/2" Turkey loads with no issues. Yeah, they belt ya'....but no flinching or anything.

Does anyone else have the fear of getting "scope bit"???

And do you think I should be concerned with moving from the 06'/7 Mag recoil range to the .300 with 180 gr. loads?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

get a .300 WSM instead maybe?

I feel like the 3 rifles/cartridges you currently have are all in the same range of power, the .300 is a step up, though still fairly close to the 7mm RM and .30-06.

If you're really just looking to get a new rifle for no reason, I wonder if you even should in the first place.

I kinda wonder if you should step up to a .338 or maybe even a .375 to get away from being close to those others.

Personally I think I'd get a .300 WSM instead for a .300 win mag, and I already have a .300 win mag that I really like, and still kinda want a .300wsm.

another option is getting a .300 weatherby or .300 RUM

a .338win.mag might be the perfect option though, step up to a .338, still flat enough, but shoot big bullets at big things, can handle anything in NA well. Still great for elk, even deer, hogs etc...great all around.

course while you're thinking about a .338, can get the baddest .338 on the block and get a .340 Weatherby!

and of course a .375h&h is an option...but that's more for bigger than flatter IMO.

My advice would be, if you're set on a .300 win.mag, get a .300WSM.

If you want a .300 but want to separate yourself further from the 7mm and other rifles you currently own, think about a .300Wby or RUM.

If you're open minded, I think a .338win.mag might be the best option.
Get 1 of the following 3; .300 WSM, .338 Win.Mag., .340 Wby.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

For many years I used a .270 and for many years I also wanted a .300 win mag. Well I finally got one one year. I used it for about 6 years and began to wonder why I got it. It was a Win Model 70 XTR, a beautiful rifle. Took several deer with it. One day I just decided I didn't want or need it anymore so I sold it and broke out my trusty .270 again and have used it ever since. Think twice before you buy it.
As far as recoil is concerned I am only 5'4" tall and the recoil only got to me when I first sighted it in. When you shoot at a deer you do not even feel it. But if you are shooting a 7MM Mag you don't have to worry about recoil anyways. Make sure your eye relief is correct on your scope and that also presents no problem.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its all about stock fit and scope eye relief...if everything is set up right you won't ever get kissed...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

salukipv1 ,

I'm really impressed with the .300 WSM, but my rifle of choice is the Ruger M77. They just seem to fit me the best.
In their left handed models, they only offer the .300 Winny or the .300 RCM (don't know about the RMC's future).

Any other .300 Win. Mag. users out there that can give me some good feedback on when you "took a step up" it?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My brother wanted one...He had used a .280 and a 7mm-08 for at least 20 years...He sold his .280, bought a .300 and used it for about 3 years...Finally sold the .300 and bought another .280...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a 7mm Rem Mag. you don't need a 300 Win Mag. that is unless your like me and just want one. In that case, go for it...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't think the 300 WM has that much kick. You have a lot of overlap in your collection.

If you get the 300WM I'd consider getting rid of your .30-06.

I'm not a fan of the WSM cartridges. On paper they look great. Once you put them on the reloading bench they leave a lot to be desired. I also don't believe they'll stand the test of time.

Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

School it sounds like you are concerned with being scoped not your shoulder so I would do some research and look for a scope in the magnification you want with the maximum eye relief possible.

If you get something in the 4-5 inch relief range you should be in good shape. Rubber scope covers can cushion the blow if it does hit.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I was 18 when I started using my .300win.mag on a black bear hunt. My abolt didn't have much of a pad at all, a thin solid rubber one, wood stock, did have the boss though, must say that setup I think kicked a tad harder than my .340wby with a syn stock and big cushy pad, no muzzle brake.

It might not be very pleasant to shoot from a bench, but I really don't think it's too much to handle especially if you want one and learn to shoot it. Guns kick, as long as you don't flinch or develop one I don't really see a problem? As far as being scope bit, I think I've only ever been once, and it was from the prone position. Also anytime I've ever seen anyone get bit, they never knew it really, til someone told them or some blood dripped on them etc...

I really wouldn't fear it, just learn to accept the kick etc...

I think I'd stay away from the .300RCM, does it come in a .338win.mag?

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
salukipv1 ,

I'm really impressed with the .300 WSM, but my rifle of choice is the Ruger M77. They just seem to fit me the best.
In their left handed models, they only offer the .300 Winny or the .300 RCM (don't know about the RMC's future).

Any other .300 Win. Mag. users out there that can give me some good feedback on when you "took a step up" it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.