HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

I think I was 18 when I started using my .300win.mag on a black bear hunt. My abolt didn't have much of a pad at all, a thin solid rubber one, wood stock, did have the boss though, must say that setup I think kicked a tad harder than my .340wby with a syn stock and big cushy pad, no muzzle brake.

It might not be very pleasant to shoot from a bench, but I really don't think it's too much to handle especially if you want one and learn to shoot it. Guns kick, as long as you don't flinch or develop one I don't really see a problem? As far as being scope bit, I think I've only ever been once, and it was from the prone position. Also anytime I've ever seen anyone get bit, they never knew it really, til someone told them or some blood dripped on them etc...

I really wouldn't fear it, just learn to accept the kick etc...

I think I'd stay away from the .300RCM, does it come in a .338win.mag?

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
salukipv1 ,

I'm really impressed with the .300 WSM, but my rifle of choice is the Ruger M77. They just seem to fit me the best.
In their left handed models, they only offer the .300 Winny or the .300 RCM (don't know about the RMC's future).

Any other .300 Win. Mag. users out there that can give me some good feedback on when you "took a step up" it?