Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please. >

Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Will I regret the .300 Win. Mag recoil??? Opinions please.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

Schoolcraft,
I have a Thompson Encore, I know it's not a Ruger #1 but similar in over all dimmensions. I have a 26" barrel on it and I really enjoy how it is still shorter overall than my bolt action rifles. The downside of course is the single shot. I say go for it get the #1. They are very nice rifles.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think a 300-win mag shooting 180-grain or 200-grain Nosler Partitions would make a great hog rifle.
I think you need to buy one and tell us how it preforms on Deer & Hogs.

IF your wife does not agree and you need help talking her into one more gun? I would be happy to write you a note asking for her permission.

Good Luck & Have Fun,

WK
Old 05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

From what I've heard, a 7mm Rem Mag is right next to a .50 Barrett when it comes to long range, flat shooting rifles.... Myself, I'd love to have one, but the ammo's too pricey for me.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

well its like this if your shootin a 7 mag , a 300 win is no diff , i say go for it another gal in the stable always makes me feel better , line long and shoot straight
Old 05-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

I have a M77 in 270 and had a 300 win mag. To be honest I actually prefer the recoil from the 300. I can't explain it. Maybe its a better fit gun. Its an awesome cartridge. I'd suggest goin to the 300 if you have some practical use for it. Lets just be honest, its going to be a little to heavy for deer and pigs and the shells are a little too expensive for target shooting. I'd go for it though if you want it. And don't worry about getting "scope bit". I had it happen the first time I shot my 500 SW HR Single Shot. It only hurts a little.