Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL >

Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL

Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Since your chamber is clean, and extraction is only a problem on a fired case, there's not much else to look at but high pressure. Your chamber is probably a little tighter than your other Remington, and the Winchester ammo's pressure is expanding the brass too much for your chamber. Try using a different ammo and see if that cures the problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Ridge, could it be something with the headspacing being off? I'm not sure what incorrect headspace could cause?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

When i built my last 700 from a tupperware ADL to a Ti takeoff the bolt would stick down because the front action screw was too long, after filing it the problem went away, could be too tight.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have ran into a few 700's that needed some reeming then polishing of the chamber and/or the bolt. In all cases fired brass exhibited the heavy bolt lift, unfired it cycled normally. You should notice markings on the fired brass if a burr in the chamber is present.

It is possible pressure is the culprit like mentioned. Easy test try different brand/style of ammo.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kanes28

DeerandbearhoG - Im not sure what screw your referin to as I dont see any screws that I would have access to turn
The action screws are what holds your stock and action together. one is foward (front) ,and one is rear of the trigger guard. Like podunk also said, sometimes the action screws are a thread too long, and if the front one is too tight ,it will make the bolt hard to turn. back it out 1/4-1/2 turn and see if that helps.

PA wildman- I could be wrong, but I dont believe my action is warped. Its only 2 years old ,and I just shot it yesterday and it gave me its usually 3/4" group. I love my MTLSS 7-08!!!!!

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 04-12-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

There really are only two reasons for your problem.

#1. The rifles chamber likely isn't polished properly. This is a very easy and quick fix for a gunsmith. If this is the problem your fired brass will be "frosted". It will look like shiny spots on the fired brass.

#2. It could be the ammo. It isn't all that rare to have factory ammo loaded a little hot.

If the action screw was too long it would likely be difficult to operate the bolt regardless if you had ammo in the chamber or not. You would also see a wear mark on the side of the recoil lug of the bolt.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I concede to men whom are properly trained on such matters, bigbulls you are the gunsmith... Im just a tinker
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
clean the chamber, then clean it again.
RR
I have a 7mm 700 I bought a few years ago it had the same problem. It turned out to be some crude in the chamber.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Hey Guys,

I went to the range again today with a different brand of ammo and a very clean rifle. I shot about 10 rounds total. The first couple shots I didnt have any issues than the same problem started to happen. I took my time and the barrell never got beyond warm to the touch. By the 10 shot it was so bad I wasnt sure Id even beable to open the bolt. maybe thats a little extreme but I sure had to use some muscle to open and extract the final round.

I packed up and went right to the gunsmith. He took a look at the empty brass under a microscope and didnt see anything. He than fired it a couple times into test tank and said it worked just fine for him. Just a quick look at the firearm, he said chamber and everything looked good. He than decided to fire it 3 more times and said the last one had the same issue I described. I left the gun with him to try and id the problem but I think it safe to say its not ammo related. He thinks he will find the problem and most likely it will be covered by Remington
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

20 years ago or so I had a similar problem with a 308. It turned out that the hole for the ejector had a tiny ridge around it. Everytime you would fire the gun it almost took a wooden mallet to get it to open. A ceramic stick and 2 or 3 hours of rubbing the area and it never gave us an issue again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.