Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL >

Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL

Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default Bolt Problem with Remington 700 BDL

Hey Guys,

Last week I bought a used very clean 700 BDL 7 mag. I went to the range today and was having a problem with the bolt. It was taking quite a bit of force to open but only after taking a shot. I really had a hard time opening the bolt to eject the just fired round.

I than chambered a bullet and ejected without firing and it worked just fine. I also chambered a empty case and it also opened and ejected with no issues.

any thoughts on what the problem may be?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where'd the ammo come from. I would suspect the ammo before I would the rifle.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Handloads? Sounds like too much pressure...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Spike

No, I don't use handloads. I was shooting winchester silver balistic tips 150 grain. (Good ammo). I don't see this ammo being a problem in this gun. I had another 700 BDL years ago and always shot this ammo with no issues like I've described.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

i agree with Jeepkid: It could be a sign of high pressure. A rusty chamber could also cause that problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try backing the front action screw out a quarter turn. mines hard to turn if its too tight.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Spike

I guess I dont understand the high pressure theory you guys are saying??? If its a pressure issue whats causing it??? I shot 20 rounds out of the gun. High Quality ammo and I had issues with every single one. I could see having a bad round out of a 20 round box of ammo but not the whole box. The chamber and bore were both cleaned throughly by myself the day I bought the gun so I dont believe its dirt related. No rust what so ever! This gun is clean guys. like new condition. The bore and Chamber look excellent.

DeerandbearhoG - Im not sure what screw your referin to as I dont see any screws that I would have access to turn

I just went out and cleaned the gun from todays shooting. when I got done I loaded a empty case and its doing it without firing as well.

Last edited by Kanes28; 04-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Try backing the front action screw out a quarter turn. mines hard to turn if its too tight.

......That's a sign of a warped action. Bedding problems could be a big concern...

Last edited by Pawildman; 04-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could even be a headspace issue...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Spike

The gun is going to the gunsmith for sure. I have never had a bolt action do this before. I found some gunsmith info about Remingtons. Maybe the extractor ring is causing this.

Bolt Binds
The Model 700 bolt is jeweled for smoothness. When the bolt does not operate smooth-ly, dirt is often the only problem. Remove and check the bolt and mating surfaces on the action for powder residue and dirt. Clean as necessary using powder solvent and a toothbrush. Dry the parts using a clean patch wrapped around a flat piece of brass or wood. Don’t use a screwdriver, as it could scratch and burr the metal of the receiver. When dry, oil lightly.
If the action is clean, check the mating surfaces for burrs. Also check for burrs on the ejector hole on the bolt, and check for sharp corners on the bolt lugs. If burrs or sharp corners are found, a small amount of filing, followed by honing and polishing with crocus cloth will remove them.
The extractor ring may be high, causing the bolt to be tight, or the extractor rivet may be loose. To correct this, remove the extractor ring and eliminate any high
American Gunsmith, Gunsmithing the Rifle
Above Right: For best accuracy, the muzzle of a Model 700 should be crowned. Any damage to the muzzle will adversely affect accuracy.

spots in the ring channel. Refit the ring and tighten the rivet, checking for smoothness. If this doesn’t solve the problem, replace the ring, using a new rivet.

Failures to Extract
Assuming the rifle is clean, check for a tight or rough chamber, using an unloaded, sized case. This should slide in and out of the chamber with little resistance. If the chamber is tight or rough, ream and repolish. If there is no problem in the chamber, fit a new extractor to the bolt.

http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...ion1777-1.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.