Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom camo rifle painting question.. >

Custom camo rifle painting question..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom camo rifle painting question..

Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Custom camo rifle painting question..

Do you need to apply a white primer? I read up a great how-to site on how this guy custom painted his AR, but he didn't use a primer. Just a tan base coat. then again i'm practicing by first painting my old savage 521 model 22LR (wooden stock). only painted the stock, but trying to think if on wood if I should prime it first or just go straight to the base coat color. stupid question probably, but i'm a newbie to this lol
Old 04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Through trial and error, I ended up stripping and sanding my wood stock to get the paint to work right. My first attempt I primed over the lightly sanded finish and then painted, only to have it chip and flake off. My second attempt after cleaning all the finish off, I just used the tan as a base coat and followed with the OD green and flat black. Worked great.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rshunter32
Through trial and error, I ended up stripping and sanding my wood stock to get the paint to work right. My first attempt I primed over the lightly sanded finish and then painted, only to have it chip and flake off. My second attempt after cleaning all the finish off, I just used the tan as a base coat and followed with the OD green and flat black. Worked great.
i had the same results with the white primer. what kind of paint did you use? i'm using krylons camo paints.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Krylon camo paint for those who are wondering.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rshunter32
Krylon camo paint for those who are wondering.
thanks again rs. just practiced not too long ago on my old 522 savage. i wanna practice again on something else before i try the 870 next. any ideas on a clear coat that wont reflect the sun too bad?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I would think a matte clear laquer would do the trick, I never did clear coat my gun. If I am correct Krylon paint advertises a tough chip proof finish after about a week of cure time. My stock is still fine, a few small chips on the barrel, but after a year of field use still good. By the way, the rifle is a Marlin 917. I'll try to post a pic if I remember.