Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Is the 22 Rimfire Winchester Model 77 fun ?? >

Is the 22 Rimfire Winchester Model 77 fun ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the 22 Rimfire Winchester Model 77 fun ??

Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Is the 22 Rimfire Winchester Model 77 fun ??

Howdy folks.

A friend of mine has to opportunity to acquire an old Winchester Model 77 22LRcal rimfire semi-auto rifle for a rediculously low price. It would be her first ever gun purchase. How are these guns as plinkers and 'shoot-em-till-your-fingers-are-too-sore-to-load-the-magazine' guns?

She is a beginner shooter and has no interest in hunting or target competition, but loves to shoot now that she's been introduced. She's shot a number of my guns (I'm guilty of getting her started). She loves the 22s, and I'm just wondering if it has the same fun factor as the Ruger 10/22 she's already put hundreds of rounds through.

Thanks guys and gals.
-Bulz
Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know nothing about that model of .22, but I can say all .22's are fun. I just picked up a Marlin 915Y for my 8 year old son and I like shooting that little gun. The only time they are not fun is when you run out of ammo.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know nothing about that model of .22, but I can say all .22's are fun.
I think that's almost exactly what I told her.

Anybody got one of these guns?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I had one when I was a kid.....just be sure it is complete....tube or clip fed. I loved mine! Parts are hard to find.
Dan
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by longknife12
I had one when I was a kid.....just be sure it is complete....tube or clip fed. I loved mine! Parts are hard to find
Dan
...........Good advice. See if you can arrange for a "test shoot". Make sure it works properly, or you could be buying a headache.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about that model but this weekend we just shot 2 bricks of .22 shells. Any .22 is a blast to shoot. I was shooting a Marlin 39A and a Ruger 10/22.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Spike

Actually the 77 is a good little shooter. It might however be a bit fickle and need a good tearing down once in a while. Autos get pretty dirty over time. For a non-tinkerer, a 10/22 or better yet a good bolt gun would be the very best.
As far as accuracy, most of the 50's and 60's Winchesters were great shooters and they get shadowed in the cloudy mess of the later guns with less quality. I say go for it!
Larry
Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to you all.

The current owner is meticulous in the care of all his stuff, and I don't doubt that it's in fine shape. Will do the test shoot (ie. excuse to go to the range).

Since parts are apparently scarce, where coudl she get some, if it should need one down the road?

-Bulz