Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wipe out on rifle stock >

wipe out on rifle stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wipe out on rifle stock

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know I have to agree. Your use of sue is pretty much laughable. Thoughts like these are precisely why American products cost so much. Why would anyone want to do business here?

You were foolish to think you should plug one end of the barrel. You were foolish to think that you should start on the muzzle side. Basic logic would dictate that you should start from the action side.

Good luck fixing your stock.

Tom
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is good stuff. Put the rifle on a bipod with the butt supported or otherise manage to angle the muzzle slightly down. Insert the straw into the chamber firmly to prevent back-leakage and give a couple seconds squirt. Watch to see if it comes out the muzzle. If you see fumes coming out the muzzle, which you can in good light, you are really close. Give very short squirts until it reaches the muzzle.

With a wood stock, I would put a small square of cloth into the chamber draped like an apron out over the stock by the ejection port to guarantee you don't get any on the stock as you remove the tube.

BC, do you inject it through the back of the bore guide? I never tried that. I guess there is no reason for it not to work, it just uses a drop more...
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by gonewest
Are you using the swissel stick straw or are you using the adaptor with the clear tube? thanks for the info
I went to home depot and got several diameter clear tubings. That way I can use the tube that comes with it, and then put another larger tube on the factory and it fills up the chamber. At the depot, it cost maybe a buck or two.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by spaniel
BC, do you inject it through the back of the bore guide? I never tried that. I guess there is no reason for it not to work, it just uses a drop more...
On guns i can use my stoney point boreguide, I take off the tube and leave the "hood" (whatever its called) and press against the back of the guide. I also always take some shop towels and make sure if anything happens, it catches it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
gonewest, it's people like you that drive me nuts, "SUE" find a forum that centers around knitting or something!! I see benchrest shooters using wipeout all the time on $5,000 to $8,000 rigs. They all use caution and have no issues. Please don't ever try to glass bed a rifle, I can' imagine the lawsuits a guy like you could come up with over doing a job like that

Honestly I had similar thoughts. It couldn't possibly be a crappy gunstock finish and have nothing to do with the cleaner.

Between the gun manufaturer and the cleaner manufacturer you could really be on to something. But then again you could just read the directions and save all this.

Or how about this.....take the action out of the stock. doh!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Look I've never sued anyone in my life I was mad and frustrated. The place I got it from the gal told me to plug one end. Don't jump all over my arss just because I said that. There should be a better adaptor for it and sometimes thats what it takes for a better look at quality control. So don't jump on me I'm sure you have thought the same thing from time to time so get off your soap box and go shoot your 5000 rig you know where.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are confusing 'soapbox' with common sense. Of which there is a serious lack of.

No clue what "go shoot your 5000 rig you know where" means.

One could only guess.....................
Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I could see that you just said it out of frustration.

The best you can do is learn from it. Best lesson out the bunch though is, don't believe everything you hear. Not to mention it wouldn't be bad to question things from time to time.

Tom
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

On the subject of cleaning, what are the pros and cons of using the various "boresnakes"? They seem to do a fantastic job on the bore and then the action and so forth can be cleaned as always--I really like the idea that the first section cleans out chunks and general gunk before the brass brushes go thru and then the long tail removes what the brush loosened up. I would think that if the tail section had just a slight bit of oil on it that a couple passes would be a pretty good barrel cleaning--yes,-- no?k If no, why not? A lot of you guys are pretty sharp and have years of experience so I'd like some opinions----John
Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jhilde
On the subject of cleaning, what are the pros and cons of using the various "boresnakes"? They seem to do a fantastic job on the bore and then the action and so forth can be cleaned as always--I really like the idea that the first section cleans out chunks and general gunk before the brass brushes go thru and then the long tail removes what the brush loosened up. I would think that if the tail section had just a slight bit of oil on it that a couple passes would be a pretty good barrel cleaning--yes,-- no?k If no, why not? A lot of you guys are pretty sharp and have years of experience so I'd like some opinions----John
Boresnakes are the best things to hit the firearms market in a lot of years. A little Hoppes #9 on the bristles, and a couple squirts of WD-40 on the rest of it, and in a couple of passes you've got a clean bore. Rifle, shotgun, handgun - I use Boresnakes on all of 'em. Us shooters and hunters are a gullable bunch. We're willing to buy anything that says its "better". As an example, just look at all the camo at one of the big retailers. I just laugh when I see all the cleaning products on the shelves now, and laugh even harder when I see the prices. To people just geting involved in the sport, my advise would be to keep it simple. Don't waste money on gimmicks. Some Hoppes, WD-40, the right Boresnake, a toothbrush and a soft cotton rag is all you will need.

gonewest - anyone can make a mistake. Hopefully it isn't too bad. I know what that first blemish on a new stock feels like. A good rule of thumb is to keep any kind of oil or solvent off the stock as much as possible. I don't know about all the new products, but Hoppes #9 is very forgiving of wood and finishes.

Last edited by daddywpb; 03-27-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.