Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Making a .35 Whelen from a '98 Mauser >

Making a .35 Whelen from a '98 Mauser

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Making a .35 Whelen from a '98 Mauser

Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Making a .35 Whelen from a '98 Mauser

This is my latest gun making project.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Very, Very nice!

That is some seriously nice work right there! A very nice custom. Very impressed with the checkering and the inlaid forend piece. Did you also do the action mods? I did a blind magazine .308 on a small ring '98 about 20 years ago. Light, not bad gun, but nothing like yours. Congrats on the most excellent work. Hope it shoots like you want it to. (I'd guess it does, based on all the other work I see here.)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice, the Whelen sure is becoming popular lately.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I can't see the pics, just red x's
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW!! thats a beautiful stock!! look at the figure in that piece of wood!! and the checkering!! and the forend tip and grip cap...WOWWWW!!

thats a beauty!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

VERY nicely done. I think I'm really starting to like the 35's. Mine are a tad bit shorter though.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JOE PA
That is some seriously nice work right there! A very nice custom. Very impressed with the checkering and the inlaid forend piece. Did you also do the action mods? I did a blind magazine .308 on a small ring '98 about 20 years ago. Light, not bad gun, but nothing like yours. Congrats on the most excellent work. Hope it shoots like you want it to. (I'd guess it does, based on all the other work I see here.)
I did most all the work except the checkering which was done in Morristown, Minnesota by Carol at Ahlmans

The safety is Dakota three position swing (like a M-70), trigger is Timney and I did the drill and tap and Dakota bolt handle conversion in my shop!

Bluing and barrel engraving done in New Mexico by John Farner.

It's my first attempt at the forend tip (cocobolo) and also a blind magazine Mauser. It sure reduces weight!

The action is a 1941 K. Kales Turk Mauser which uses a small thread barrel tenon but is fine with the .30-06 size cases. I wouldn't build a magnum on this action!

I have several other projects in the works and will post some of them as I get them done!